• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO Non-Attainment

John Ritenour

CheckUr6
When I read this post, I became angry! I was in the NFO Pipeline , when I received the dreaded "(NAMI) Naval Aerospace Medical Institute Whammy" due to some bizarre medical problem with my balance. I was sent to SWOS against my wishes. So I "manned up" and decided to make the best of the hand I was dealt, My goal was to qualify ASAP, so I could transfer to another community more to my liking. My first day at SWOS, I was called a "FAWP" by one of the instructors, just because I was an aviation attrite. An AWP as I found out, is an Aviation Waste Product. The "F" in front of it, just made it more pejorative. I informed the instructor, that I was in SWOS to qualify, not to get in pissing games with immature individuals. I invited the instructor to accompany me to the skipper's office so he could repeat his comment. He declined. I didn't let some jerk with a poor attitude determine my attitude. I graduated from SWOS with Honors and then reported to my first command, a MSO. I was polite, professional and eager to get to work and qualify. My CO informed me (1) he had absolutely no use for aviation attrites no matter what the cause, (2) NROTC graduates were little better than the spawn of Satan . The 3rd strike came in the that he had short mans syndrome ( he being 5'6", me being 6'5", this was not a good scene.) Six months to the day I reported aboard, he SWO-Non Attained me, (despite the fact that I had been TAD for 35 days of that period). I received a FITREP that basically made me out to be only slightly better than an axe murderer. After being jerked around for about 10 additional months, my appeal of my FITREP was granted, and I received orders to another ship. Sadly, I was injured in a severe accident, and was on limited duty for another 08 months. I then reported to a third ship, where the CO was a clone of my first one. He too SWO-Non Attained me after a 6 month period. I again appealed my FITREP, and again I prevailed. But by that time I was an 03 with two years in grade. Too old to really be competitive in any community. I filled a gapped EDO (Engineering Duty Officer) billet and was eventually retired due to medical causes.

What I wouldn't have given for a chance to qualify. I can assure you that had I been allowed to serve a regular division officer tour with a "Normal CO" I wouldn't have complained about not being SWO Non Attained! I'd have been busting my tail - trying to complete my command at sea quals, working to become an EOOW (Engineering Officer of the Watch), asking to stand TAO watch under instruction , etc. Anything I could do to increase my value to the Navy. Instead, I became proficient at appealing FITREPS (a necessary in my case but certainly not career enhancing skill). Eighteen months at one command - I'd say your very damn fortunate. If I were you, I would go to your skipper and (1) Apologize for wasting his time and (2) ask for forgiveness due to your youth and immaturity. Contriteness can sometimes accomplish much! What I could've done with opportunities you are pissing/ have pissed away!

Last edited by a moderator:

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have been advised to go speak with Legal just to help me put together a letter to submit to the CO on letter head stating my intentions to "cutoff" the DFC process or at the very least be my first piece of evidence for the DFC investigation. I can fill in more info if someone has any questions. Trying to find people to talk to about this is harder than finding WMD's in the middle east.
With all due respect, I am totally confused by your whole situation. You say you were an NFO NPQ attrite, 53-yr old O-3, with a string of uh, questionable FITREPS, and you want to transfer to the Army? Not sure what you're looking for here, It's too bizarro for this simple NA to absorb, so I'll leave this to our resident SWOs for comment. Umm, good luck on whatever it is you are trying to accomplish.:confused:
BzB

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
With all due respect, I am totally confused by your whole situation. You say you were an NFO NPQ attrite, 53-yr old O-3, with a string of uh, questionable FITREPS, and you want to transfer to the Army? Not sure what you're looking for here, It's too bizarro for this simple NA to absorb, so I'll leave this to our resident SWOs for comment. Umm, good luck on whatever it is you are trying to accomplish.
BzB
I think the part about transfer to the Army was from a broken quote of the OP, serda07

exNavyOffRec

With all due respect, I am totally confused by your whole situation. You say you were an NFO NPQ attrite, 53-yr old O-3, with a string of uh, questionable FITREPS, and you want to transfer to the Army? Not sure what you're looking for here, It's too bizarro for this simple NA to absorb, so I'll leave this to our resident SWOs for comment. Umm, good luck on whatever it is you are trying to accomplish.:confused:
BzB

I think the post became jumbled with the original post.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Be sure and get on here in a year and tell us how civilian life is working out for you.

Serda-I see where you're coming from, but I have to agree you're approaching this the wrong way. I was a nuke (sucked), and a SWO (sucked). I liked the people I worked with, but not the job--which sounds like your situation. I kept a good attitude, basically got a SWO-pin as a gift, and was then able to go do more camo/rifle sort of things afterwards.

A year or 18 months isn't that long in the big scheme of things. Our CO made a point of giving NAMs or other bennies to the E-3's shlepping garbage or cleaning bilges. His philosophy was that it's easy to a job you love well, but a real test of character is to do a crappy job well. From just a few posts I can't claim to know you, but it seems like you're psyched carrying a rifle someplace, but not standing the balls to four watch and memorizing stats about a radar unit.

If you care, and if you have time in your career, I think you need to go your CO and say "I was wrong. SWO life isn't for me, but I'll do whatever it takes from here on out to get your recommendation for a follow tour or new community." That's gentler, but pretty much the same as all the advice you've seen here.

I'm not saying this for your CO, or the Navy, but for you. When you apply for an IA, another community, or another service, they're basically going to see that the CO wanted ("ordered") you to do something and you refused...that's not going to make you very attractive to the gaining CO.

It sounds like you're pretty good at actually looking at the regs, so double check me on this, but I believe when you're discharged as an officer, the code on your DD-214 basically says you can't go enlisted after that. Also, I don't have the instruction, but I'm pretty sure you can't recommission into another service. By the time you get out of the Navy you'll be an O-3 with no real quals and poor recommendations...Is the Army going to immediately plug you in as a Company commander who knows nothing and has a history of not doing what his CO orders? Are they going to put an O-3 as a platoon leader?

The reactions you've seen on this post is how pretty much every officer is going to see you. You asked for advice, so I hope you can read through the emotion and turn things around for yourself.

Good luck (I mean that!).

You realize the original post is from 2008 right?
Yeah, I think I got carried away in writing a tome; I can promise you there will be at least one more guy who hates being a SWO...this was for him. Sorry if it was confusing or I offended you.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, I think I got carried away in writing a tome; I can promise you there will be at least one more guy who hates being a SWO...this was for him. Sorry if it was confusing or I offended you.
No offense, I think he was just advising you that the OP's post was really old. He hasn't posted in 2.5 years, last seen here in 2011. I think he's gonzo from AW.:)
BzB