• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO Competivness and 2 Other Questions About SWO Choices at OCS

Cougars15

Hi just wanted to see how my stats held up:
OAR: 50
College GPA:3.35 (BA English and BS Secondary Education)
Grad School GPA: 3.30 (MS Leadership & MAEd Math Education)
Prior: USNA Midshipman

And also I had 2 more questions. I don't want look silly but I'd rather ask than not know.

1. How does SWO selection work at OCS?
2. Can ships at Fort Story/Little Creek be selected?

Cougars15

Yes, but all they have are LSDs. Unless you're really into that stuff, you should consider going to a more mainstream platform for your first ship.
That's good to know. I'm really into Amphibous ships. I was on the USS Iwo Jima and the USS Makin Island and I really enjoyed my time in port and out at sea with both.

Bergers2short

None
Life on an LSD as a fist tour is drastically different than life as a first tour on a LHD. Embarking on the MAKIN after my first tour on an LSD was a dream. If you want to go amphib, I would recommend an LPD so you can have more responsibility, watch time, and a closer crew, while not having to deal with the age problems of LSDs.

BT

azguy, I've never been stationed on the East Coast. If Little Creek only has LSDs, does the rest of the ARG/Phibron assets dock at Norfolk? Is QOL better for the command with some separation from the CDRE? I never knew that...

azguy

None
I've never been stationed on the East Coast. If Little Creek only has LSDs, does the rest of the ARG/Phibron assets dock at Norfolk? Is QOL better for the command with some separation from the CDRE? I never knew that...

Not an amphib guy, but you're right, the big decks and LPDs are at Norfolk. The two bases are only ~20 minute drive from each other so it's not like the LSDs are really that far removed from their -RON. That said, Little Creek has a much more chill feel to it than Norfolk, so there's that.

To the OP, Bergers is right about the LPD. Without a long winded explanation, if you have your heart set on amphibs, I would definitely go to an LPD.

Cougars15

I would expect one or two questions about this part of your bio.
I did something stupid at USNA which is why I'm a prior Midshipman and I explain in my personal statement to the board. The stupid USNA thing I did was lie about my height to meet USNA weight standards. At the time, the Commandant lowered them by 4% from Fleet standards and I could pass my PRT with a B (Excellent-High Sit Ups, Excellent-Medium Push Ups, Outstanding-Low Run) but I couldn't meet weight or body fat standards. So I lied, got kicked out, and got disowned and beaten up by parents, but somehow managed to graduate college, become a teacher, loose 20 pounds, and complete graduate school (May). It's not pretty but I know I could make a good Officer. I figure I should at least try.

I would expect one or two questions about this part of your bio.

Not immediately disqualifying. We had a prior middy in my OCS class. He got absolutely shit on though at all times, failed RLP 3 times (rolled once), and then got rolled again late in the program.

He got in though, and he did eventually graduate 5 months later...