• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Switching Platforms

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are two ways:
1. Eject twice and no longer be eligible for ejection seat aircraft, or
2. Be in a community that is sundowning and be offered a transition to a new community (e.g.: S-3 -> E-2C/F/A-18 or EA-6B->E/A-18G).

I did fly wih an A-6 guy that transitioned to EA-6Bs then got his foot in the F/A-18F door and stayed, but that was a RARE dope deal. It did work out for him as he is now an O-6.

There is no established track to go from, let say, P-3/P-8 to F/A-18. Do you really want to go back to NFO flight school as a winged NFO?

If you have an engineering degree (or attended USNA), you can always lateral transfer to AEDO.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Anyone know what the process would be to switch to a different platform for NFOs?
According to your profile, you are a SNFO yet you are already asking about switching platforms....

Going into your first squadron with a "I don't want to be here" attitude means your just destined to fail. Save yourself and everyone else the trouble and just quit now.

According to your profile, you are a SNFO yet you are already asking about switching platforms....

Going into your first squadron with a "I don't want to be here" attitude means your just destined to fail. Save yourself and everyone else the trouble and just quit now.
Lol nah just havent updated my profile. Its not that i have a bad attitude about it, we cannot afford to act that way in our community nor should i expect that you could in any community for that matter. Just curious what options lie out there for the future.

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are two ways:
1. Eject twice and no longer be eligible for ejection seat aircraft, or
2. Be in a community that is sundowning and be offered a transition to a new community (e.g.: S-3 -> E-2C/F/A-18 or EA-6B->E/A-18G)...

Ummmm, you forgot a third. NFO's can apply for transition just like pilots, it isn't done very often but I did it and that included going back through flight school as a winged aviator. There is a transition thread all about it, search 'transition' and you will likely find it and the links it has to the instruction.

Ummmm, you forgot a third. NFO's can apply for transition just like pilots, it isn't done very often but I did it and that included going back through flight school as a winged aviator. There is a transition thread all about it, search 'transition' and you will likely find it and the links it has to the instruction.
Interesting, i was just curious whether that was even a thing or not.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good catch. I guess this avenue is not well advertised for NFOs. As with everything, getting your first tour ticket punched is probably mandatory to succeed; otherwise, you may end up with a transition but no career or worse a 2x FOS.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's the real question the OP should be asking of himself. Is it worth your career? In the current O4/DH selection climate, you may only get one tour in your new platform before getting a pink slip.

What are you looking to switch out of and into?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good catch. I guess this avenue is not well advertised for NFOs. As with everything, getting your first tour ticket punched is probably mandatory to succeed; otherwise, you may end up with a transition but no career or worse a 2x FOS.

The winds of the Navy can change rapidly, it was not a death sentence to a career when I did it (dependent on community ) but it did hurt me in the longer term with the rapid changes to the personnel environment after 9/11. While it may be career suicide now no one knows what it will be in 10 years, it could be like 15 years ago when communities were wondering how they were going to have enough O-4's to fill DH slots.