• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Switching from Air Force to Navy

TyKing

pilot
Hey guys, I just got PROREC Y for SNA, and will be leaving for OCS May 24. I'm currently enlisted in the Air Force and my ETS is April 6. With that being said, I would have a 7 week break between my last day in the Air force and when I leave for OCS. Is there any way to stay on active duty with the Navy till I leave for OCS, so I don't have a break in service?

Also if it's not possible to stay on active duty during the break, will I be able to keep my tri-care during the 7 week break? my wife is pregnant, and she is due May 9. So, having healthcare during the break is important. Plus, the idea of going 7 weeks without a paycheck doesn't sound great. Anyone with some insight or someone who's had a similar process?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
With that being said, I would have a 7 week break between my last day in the Air force and when I leave for OCS. Is there any way to stay on active duty with the Navy till I leave for OCS, so I don't have a break in service?

Speak to your current USAF command about getting your ETS extended. You're not considered AD Navy until the date you report to OCS.

Otherwise, you might need to find a way to bridge the gap between your ETS and OCS ship date. On the TRICARE end, you can use TAMP.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Would you have a break in service? You're going and coming within the same FY and you'd certainly already have enough points for the FY. Admittedly I'm not smart on how they figure your overall time for pay, so I suppose you'd be an O-1E > X, 7 weeks later than you would be if you extended, but I'd look into how that works.

Like Guru said, use TAMP for TRICARE.

TyKing

pilot
Speak to your current USAF command about getting your ETS extended. You're not considered AD Navy until the date you report to OCS.

Otherwise, you might need to find a way to bridge the gap between your ETS and OCS ship date. On the TRICARE end, you can use TAMP.
Thanks, yea I'm looking into getting a earlier OCS date or extending my contract.

TyKing

pilot
Would you have a break in service? You're going and coming within the same FY and you'd certainly already have enough points for the FY. Admittedly I'm not smart on how they figure your overall time for pay, so I suppose you'd be an O-1E > X, 7 weeks later than you would be if you extended, but I'd look into how that works.

I have no idea how that works; are you talking about the reserves point system? if I could stay on active duty that would be ideal.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
TAMP for TRICARE
Wait, what? What's this sorcery? #uninformed. So I'm currently covered and don't need to worry about buying Tricare Reserve Select for the 180 days I'm temporarily a nasty civilian? Sweet. Ty!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have no idea how that works; are you talking about the reserves point system? if I could stay on active duty that would be ideal.

Everybody earns points, regardless of component. While on AD, you earn one point for every day. On the Officer side at least, that's part (but not all) of how one maintains no break in service. Yes, it plays a bigger part on the Reserve side, but it's still a thing.

That said, I don't think that will really affect you either way. Someone else can chime in, but it seems like the only real "loss" in the long term for you is losing years of service for pay purposes (ie, you won't roll over your next pay gate until 7 weeks later than you would if you hadn't left the AF), if that's truly an issue. Again, I just don't know how they compute that. Whatever the equivelent to an AF PSD can probably answer that for you.

Nicholsq

FMF DOC
Hey guys, I just got PROREC Y for SNA, and will be leaving for OCS May 24. I'm currently enlisted in the Air Force and my ETS is April 6. With that being said, I would have a 7 week break between my last day in the Air force and when I leave for OCS. Is there any way to stay on active duty with the Navy till I leave for OCS, so I don't have a break in service?

Also if it's not possible to stay on active duty during the break, will I be able to keep my tri-care during the 7 week break? my wife is pregnant, and she is due May 9. So, having healthcare during the break is important. Plus, the idea of going 7 weeks without a paycheck doesn't sound great. Anyone with some insight or someone who's had a similar process?
Me being a hospital corpsman and all...( No big deal lol). I know you can extend your tricare benifits for 180 days after you get out. Contact tricare and ask for details

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

He might not be eligible for TAMP and have to use the CHCBP, which is $$$ (I had to use it during my transition). TAMP now is pretty much only for folks who are passed over twice, or not able to reenlist. However, TRICARE will back date you up to 90 days if you leave and then reenter the military, just for reasons like this.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
I'd get with your shirt ASAP and see what's out there to help - I've yet to see a wing not take care of folks who ask the right way.

Congrats on your selection and get ready for a culture shock! Going from AF to Navy a lot of things vary - chiefs can usually get things done and have more clout than MSgt's. Get used to CO/XO vice CC / Deputy CC and the command structure / majcom can get a little confusing. I think you'll find the mission overall more exciting and extensive - the Navy has a lot going on at all times!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
...and the command structure / majcom can get a little confusing. I think you'll find the mission overall more exciting and extensive - the Navy has a lot going on at all times!

Just soak it in some salt water...after an hour it all looks the same. ?

Good luck and I agree...the AF should be able to hold you for seven weeks.

Jmarsh21

@TyKing Although I can't help you much but I know you should be able to bridge the gap if you get connected with your shirt and maybe put in a CMS ticket to be safe.

I had a question for you though because I am looking into doing the same thing you did and join the Navy currently AD USAF. Can I reach out to you for some information?

TyKing

pilot
@TyKing Although I can't help you much but I know you should be able to bridge the gap if you get connected with your shirt and maybe put in a CMS ticket to be safe.

I had a question for you though because I am looking into doing the same thing you did and join the Navy currently AD USAF. Can I reach out to you for some information?
Yea you can reach out to me with any questions, just shoot me a DM.

TyKing

pilot

@RecruitingGuru Will I need a new DD-368 conditional release form for OCS? My current one is good till APR 6, which will be my last day on active duty. However, I will be on Air force IRR once I separate. If I do need a new DD-368 form does it have to be from my current commander or one from IRR Air Force, since I'll technically will be on IRR status? I would assume I wont need a new one since I already got a PROREC Y, but I just want to cover my bases.

Iriscka

@RecruitingGuru Will I need a new DD-368 conditional release form for OCS? My current one is good till APR 6, which will be my last day on active duty. However, I will be on Air force IRR once I separate. If I do need a new DD-368 form does it have to be from my current commander or one from IRR Air Force, since I'll technically will be on IRR status? I would assume I wont need a new one since I already got a PROREC Y, but I just want to cover my bases.

Did you end up needing the new DD-368 from IRR? I'm in the same situation, and was wondering the same..