• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Switching designators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

okienative

Hi everyone. I'm reporting for OCS in July. I had heard that when you get down there, you can ask to redesignate, or sometimes they ask for volunteers to redesignate to a different job. Is this true?

I really want to take whatever will get me in the fleet the fastest? Just curious about it.

Thanks!

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I doubt that. My class officer said "if you're looking to redesignate, you can't." We had some people who were NPQ'd for SNA, and were redesignated to SNFO. That's about it. Letting people redesignate at OCS would wreak havoc on their quotas. However, if say, a small community like EOD had a no-show, it might be possible to redesignate. Don't be in such a hurry to get to the fleet, once you're there, you'll be awhile ;)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep...the fleet will still be here. It's not going anywhere.

okienative

eod

What's EOD?

And that's cool. But does it hurt to ask once you get there, just to put the bug in someone's ear?

Don't want to cause any unnecessary problems.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
EOD - Explosive Ordance Disposal

It doesn't hurt to ask your class officer, but in general, you need a reason like being NPQ'd. Changing your mind is a very crappy reason, you should have thought about that before you signed the papers. What's your designator anyway?

okienative

Well I did think about before signing the papers, actually. My reasoning is that I want to be an officer, and I will take what they give, and then move from there.

I'm SNFO. Don't really want to fly. I asked to them to change that slot on my application before they submitted it, but the Warrant Officer in charge of my application apparently did not. So when it went up, that's what got selected.

I'm not big into flying and would much rather be on the sea or ground rather than up high. That's why I was asking. I'd love to be able to give that slot to someone who really wants it.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
You might want to try hammering it out with your recruiter. Flight attrite/DORs are getting processed out of the navy, and if you want to straight up lat transfer, you'll probably have to get your wings and do a sea tour. If you really don't want to be an NFO, work it out now, one of our guys at OCS wanted to be a SWO, but that was full, so he took an SNA slot, finished OCS, and basically quit after he got commissioned because he "couldn't see himself flying" I don't know what happened to him, but it's a shame he went through all the bullcrap to become an officer, and then not do anything with it.

okienative

I don't mind getting my wings and doing a sea tour. Honestly I don't. I guess one of the big problems I have is that I tend to get sick with changes in altitude. I did talk with my OPO and he told me that they will prescribe motion sickness medicine for it.

I was just wondering if that's something you eventually adjust to or what.

Any info?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Not sure, I'm not an aviator myself. However, I had a problem with some rough seas around Australia last cruise, took some meds for 4 days, and it was friggin' awesome! I could still feel the boat rockin' like hell, but it had zero affect on me. After the meds were used up, I felt fine, and haven't needed any since.

josejimmenez

Selected for SNFO
Hey, i got pro-rec'd for SNFO and am trying to redesignate to SNA upon Final select. I am however a civillian Flight instructor. Yes you will adapt to motion sickness. when i first started flying a few steep turns would give me the urge to engage in involuntary protein spills. Now aerobatics are no big :icon_smil . Don't sweat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.