• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

switch from pilot to NFO advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTTyoung

OK, everyone thinks im crazy for considering this, but I hold a pilot slot, and im considering redesignating to NFO. I am currently in my second week of API, and I've been thinking about changing designators for a while now, and just not sure if I should go through with it. Ive always thought of myself as a backseater kind of guy anyway, and while i love flying, I think I'd be more comfortable not doing the flying, and doing the other cool stuff that FO's do. If i did go FO, i would be interested in the prowler community, but I have also 'heard', that they are not taking many more prowler FO's. Im not familiar with the FO community in general, and I know in the end it is personal preference on what I should do, but any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not in FO land, but that seems far-fetched to me that they wouldn't be taking any more Prowler NFOs... considering it's going to be with us for some time.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
VTTyoung said:
Ive always thought of myself as a backseater kind of guy anyway, and while i love flying, I think I'd be more comfortable not doing the flying, and doing the other cool stuff that FO's do.

Don't let anyone give you sh!t for feeling like that man. I feel the exact same way.

Sabre170

None
Think long term... what do you want to do after the Navy? I would like to be a pilot but because of my age, I went with NFO and got selected. I figure NFO would be second best on my list, while the other guy is flying, I get to play with cool radar and hopefully drop some bomb, deploy counter measures and just have a great ride (if I am in jets).

But go with you gut. You are probably young enough to reconsider down the road. If you start as an NFO, after a few years you may reconsider and ask the Navy to send you to pilot school.

megan620

EA-6B ECMO/IA Wife
They were still assigning people to Prowler NFO spots at the last selection....so I wouldn't take that rumor too seriously. They aren't assigning anymore NFOs to S-3s anymore....that's all I've heard from my fiance (he's a prowler SNFO in advanced).

wusappenin

None
if you go to vt-86, the only options for you right now are prowlers and super hornets. they're definitely taking EA-6B guys right now if that's what you want

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
VTTyoung said:
and doing the other cool stuff that FO's do.

FO's do cool stuff?

Man, I'd advise against it. Good on you if you do, but nearly every FO I know (P-3ers) just hates life. Maybe it has something to do with our squadron, I dunno. I certainly do know i could NEVER do their job, I’d tear out my hair and go postal. My hat goes off to the FO's in P-3's, but I’d never wish it on anyone. When you reach the TACCO level in P-3's, you get to do some very cool stuff, but going through the NavCom stage is quite painful.

I've got a buddy who went FO to pilot (P3 FO to P3 pilot) and he said that he loved some of the ASW stuff as a TACCO, but being a pilot is by far a better job.

just a few thoughts...

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Hey, if you are thinking about being a FO, get out there and TALK to one. Trust me, it's not easier or cooler than being a pilot...It's just different..We do different things while the pilots are busy getting us there. Most guys you meet on this forum will be biased one way or the other...So go and talk to some of your instructors in API and take a drive over to Sherman and ask some guys in VT-4 or VT-10...We'll give you the scoop on what you'll do. It's rough here but I think it's worth it...Good luck.

Eagle32

I'm taking you to the looneybin.
Wtf!!!!!

VTTyoung said:
OK, everyone thinks im crazy for considering this, but I hold a pilot slot, and im considering redesignating to NFO. I am currently in my second week of API, and I've been thinking about changing designators for a while now, and just not sure if I should go through with it. Ive always thought of myself as a backseater kind of guy anyway, and while i love flying, I think I'd be more comfortable not doing the flying, and doing the other cool stuff that FO's do. If i did go FO, i would be interested in the prowler community, but I have also 'heard', that they are not taking many more prowler FO's. Im not familiar with the FO community in general, and I know in the end it is personal preference on what I should do, but any advice is welcome. Thanks.

LOSER! Seriously, a drug test should soon follow.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
VTTyoung said:

Ya gotta wonder if being a FO in a Prowler or Hornet might just be WAY more fun that grinding around in a helo or P-3 as a pilot (I know somebody's gonna jump on me for saying that!). I do actually wonder this sometimes...and I don't think you're crazy.

I had a pilot slot and was later NPQ'd (eyeballs), and after I got over the disappointment and talked to some NFO's, I realized that, while the jobs are a bit different, NFO jobs are quite cool.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This guy needs to sit and talk with some of the Fleet-returnee Pilots and FOs that are at the Schools Command facility. Get some one-on-one advice before making a rash decision.

NAVY1

OCS 22 JAN 2005, NFO
Hi everyone, I'm trying to get some help on Gouge. I need to study the Gouge for OCS because I start January 22, and want to be more than ready. I was told that the Gouge in the handbook I got from the Navy has changed a bit and I don't want to start with the wrong stuff.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Search the forum for "Gouge" and "OCS" and you'll likely find what you need. There's also a whole forum for OCS and another one for Gouge, so try looking there. If you've got any questions, post them in one of those forums and people will be happy to help.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
First off, yes the Navy is taking EA-6B guys still. Lots of em.

Second, yes the Navy is taking S-3B guys still. I just talked to StuCon in VT-86 yesterday, and he said he's still being asked to fill slots. Everyone's trying to dodge that bullet, but they might get overruled by higher authority.

Third, I agree you should talk to some FOs. No offense, but forget about VT-4/10 unless you want P-3s. If you want Prowler, drive to VT-86, there's about 8 million ECMOs there, and they love the EA-6B more than life itself.

It's not insane to want to be an NFO... just a bit odd ;) Nonetheless, especially in the Prowler, it's a cool job. You're out there as the Mission Commander, you brief the job and do it. The stickmonkey is driving the bus for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.