• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swimming Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teddy

So here's my concern - I'm an average swimmer, can do all the basic strokes, tread water, drownproof, etc. However, I've can't imagine what it's like to do all this in full combat or flight gear. Then there's the mile swim in a flight suit! - is that done in a pool or the ocean? Practice makes perfect, and I'm sure I'll get plenty of that, but any insight/advice you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Teddy,

This question has been pretty hashed out before, you might want to take a look at the following two links on the forum, they should be able to answer your question, and give you background on what will be required.

To anyone else recently through API, has any of it changed?

Forum Topics:

Swimming In API
http://airwarriors.com/cgi-bin/forum/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=153

Swim test question?
http://airwarriors.com/cgi-bin/forum/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=319

Dave Shutter

About the one thing I don't have to sweat is swimming. If you think this is bad though check out the BUDS syllabus on the SEAL page: The final graded swim in phase 3 is a timed, 5 mile, nightime, open ocean swim. At least they're nice enough to give you a pair of fins for it.

D

Teddy

Thanks John - sorry to duplicate info - feel free to dump this file for organization sake. The links you sent were exactly the answer I was looking for. Semper Fi!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Teddy, don't worry about it, all questions are welcome, in some cases it generates good discussion again. But on some subjects where Matt, Steve or I have gone in depth on a given subject... well... it easier just to refer to those prior topics than retype everything!

You have any other questions regarding swimming that we didn't cover, ask away.

Though glad to hear it was what you were looking for.

JTurse

As an average swimmer, my opinion: work on being comfortable holding your breath (tower jump & swim) and treading water. Otherwise, you should be good to go; enjoy API.

JT

Status
Not open for further replies.