• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swimming proficiency at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcb747

Does OCS require you to have some degree of swimming proficiency or do they teach you the basics? I just need to find out what type of swim training I need to do before I even get to OCS.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Smokescreen

The Officer Candidate Swim Qual states that you must enter the water feet first from a minimum height of 5ft and remain afloat for 5 mins. During in-water time, swim 50yds using any combination of stroke. Those that fail will result in being assigned remedial swim or set back in training.

Jeff

When I went through, we went over to the pool and you had to pass a third class swim test. Which was 50 yard swim, tred water for five minutes and demonstrate a survival method wearing dungarees. Basically just take the pants off and inflate them with one of four methods that they show you. I believe we did a tower jump also, which is a platform 10 ft. over the water that you step off of in the abandon ship position. If you can not pass it when you get there you will go to the pool twice a week for an hour or so and they will build you up to it. I really wouldn't worry to much about the swim portion of the OCS though.

spidie

Applying for CEC, USMC
New Swimmer

Just a question I have asked quite a bit already, my recruiter tells me I need to swim 500 yds freestyle in 11 min or under just to get into OCS let alone being competitive. But the swim requirments at OCS do not sound that difficult especially requiring that time for 500 yds freestyle just to get in. I just learned how to swim about 4.5 months ago or so and before then I had to get over a fear of the water since I almost drowned 2 times (I sink like a rock). What is going on? Do I need to swim that distance that fast? If not why did she tell me that? Any help would be appreciated thanks :)

omohyetty

the following is straight from the OCS webpage concerning exactly was is expected of every candidate as far as aquatic program / 3rd class swim qualification. There is no ambiguities here. its cristal clear.

Pre-Commissioning Swim Requirements

The Third Class Swim Test is administered early in the training program.

Candidates who have difficulties with the test will be temporarily suspended until they pass the swim test. In the meantime they will receive extra instruction and will continue with training at a later time.
Candidates who are evaluated as being unsafe in the water will be removed from training and given remedial swim training.
Candidates who are unable to successfully complete the swim test, following extensive remedial instruction, will be considered for attrition from the program.
Third Class Swim Test consists of the following:

Abandon Ship Jump: Jump from a 12 foot tower to simulate abandoning ship.
50 yd Swim: Using any single following stroke or combination of the crawl, breaststroke, sidestroke, and elementary backstroke
5 minute Prone Float: Remain afloat face down, utilizing survival floating skills, for five minutes.

Shirt and Trouser inflation: Fill a shirt and pair of trousers with air to remain afloat.

*** IN ALL EVENTS THE SWIMMER MUST APPEAR SAFE, CALM AND RELAXED ***

Status
Not open for further replies.