• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swimming for PT?

Malice 1

pilot
My left knee is all banged up, so I have been searching for alternate ways to PT without running and screwing it up some more. I have been going to the pool for the past few days.

Anyone else here swim regularly? I have been spending 1 hour in the pool each day doing various different exercises.

-I swim 10 laps (500 yards) as fast as I can. I did it in 10:30 today.
-I swim lap after lap afterward at a slower pace, doing different styles. (freestyle, backstroke, etc...)
-Next I go as far as I can underwater without surfacing for air. I made it all the way across the lane today. That was a first for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions on good swimming exercises n' stuff?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Instead of starting off with a sprint, start off with a warmup, if you're gonna swim for 1hr, maybe a 400-500yd warmup. Then get into the meat of the workout. When I used to coach, we used to be big fans of the pyramid, because it hits some sprints and distance. Then maybe do a bunch of 100s at a decent pace. Maybe a few 100 IMs to mix things up. Also, do some kicking to give your shoulders a break. Then maybe a nice 500, and finally a bunch of 25s at a fast pace. Also, when you're swimming, try to control your breathing. Start by trying to limit yourself to breathing every 3rd stroke, and try to build up to 5th or 7th stroke. You could also do some drills where you swim 25s, and on the first lap, breathe every 3rd stroke, on the 2nd lap, every 5th stroke, and so on. And finally, end the workout with a nice easy cool down.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Not exactly what you are looking for, but a rowing machine is actually pretty good at keeping you in good running shape when you can't run. Combining that with a bike program is gtg for keeping your running muscles and stamina up. Swimming is good, but it works you a little different than these exercises.

We used to have people who would be on hold for running (in college and high school), usually due to a stress fracture or the like, and would come back HARD after sticking to these two things.

Food for thought...

brs2585

I dont know the type of knee injury. But I would recommend laying off of the breaststoke. The kick for it can sometimes do a number on the knees

Malice 1

pilot
SemperGumbi said:
Not exactly what you are looking for, but a rowing machine is actually pretty good at keeping you in good running shape when you can't run. Combining that with a bike program is gtg for keeping your running muscles and stamina up. Swimming is good, but it works you a little different than these exercises.

We used to have people who would be on hold for running (in college and high school), usually due to a stress fracture or the like, and would come back HARD after sticking to these two things.

Food for thought...

Hey, thats good to know. It costs me $7 each time I use the pool, whereas I have a paid gym membership elsewhere. I'll hit the rowing machine and bike.

Everyone else: thanks for the advice.