• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swim Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

reapergm

Although I'm still waiting this long, hellish month of July... I want to be as prepared as possible. I know that there are a number of swim tests, including a mile swim. Can anyone tell me about them. Where the tests are (pool vs. ocean), what can be done to train for them, and when they take place after OCS. Im an ok swimmer, I know I probably need to train alot more though. Will I have time to train during TBS? -reaper

1devildoc

Do say say "hellish" because you too are dying to know if you were accepted to OCS? Because this has aleady been one of the longest months of our lives, and it's only have over.

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
The beginning of August is going to be worse. This month, you know that you're not going to get the board results today, but starting August 6, you get to wait to find out...

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
You won’t have time to swim at TBS. You have to pass WS-1, before they will send you to FL. It entails this burning oil thing that really sucks – pass it the first time. The way to pass this, is to have a strong cardio, there was not too much technique other than just sucking it up. It is basically the breaststroke, but instead of using your hands to pull you through the water, you are using them to splash, which pushes you – hence you have to make up for it with your kicking. Remediation swim at TBS is going to be the last thing you want to do, trust me.
I am only a week into API, but so far, the swimming is a joke. Granted I am a strong swimmer, so this is a slanted perspective. I will let you know how the mile swim goes later on. I haven’t heard many stories about people screwing it up.
Our PTI or whatever the Navy calls him essentially has us on the Richard Simmons workout plan, once again, a joke.
The mile swim is in the pool. Later on, I think we do some parasailing out in the ocean, I’m not sure what it entails, just taking it a day at a time.
If you want to work on swimming, breast/side stroke are the main survival strokes. Then work on the crawl. How to prepare…just hit the pool, swimming is all about technique before power.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
If you can get WSQ-1 at TBS, you'll have no problems at API.

Beetle

apendle

The swim is relatively easy, you get 75 minutes to pass the mile swim in your flight suit. The guy who came in last in our class did it 60 minutes. If your in good swim shape you shouldn't have problem.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
i just gotta say if i could pass the mile anyone can..i am a horrible swimmer...my mile time was 79 minutes 53 seconds..but i passed...whatever stroke makes you feel better get it down...get the glide down...get the squeeze in the kick. its all about the squeeze for the survival strokes...just practice..you dont want to do the mile again.

Status
Not open for further replies.