• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swim PT ideas

sickboy

pilot
I'm in charge of planning a swim PT for the aviation club at my NROTC unit. The problem is, I never really swam seriously, I was was a runner. Basically I have no idea what I'm doing. I have the pool reserved for two hours. So far I have :
-Short swim, no more than 500 meters to work on stroke form with
-some water survival (probably along the lines of a 3rd class swim)
-some sort of distance swim.

I'm just looking for input and ideas. I don't even know what kind of strokes we want to work on. This will be done in flight suits and boots, but not helmats. Does anyone have ideas or suggestions?

Brunes

pilot
Important strokes are Breast Stroke, Side Stroke, American (Front) Crawl, Elementary Backstroke.

Time spent treading water is good practice too. Just like any other workout- Stretching and warm up adn cool down are important.

Two hours is going to be a long time for the folks in your group who aren't comfy in the water- and it'll go by in no time for the guys who swim already or play water polo or whatever...so remember that as you pace the workout and take breaks and try to get people to work along with you.

Good luck with your PT!!

navyterp67

pilot
I swim fairly regularly, and sometimes with a 1/C who wants to go SEALs/EOD, and an OC who was a rescue swimmer. Some things to keep in mind:

-2 hours is pretty long in the pool, especially for people who do not swim often
-warm-up is KEY; swimming is definitely one of those things where a warm-up will help you not get "tight" or too tired during a workout. just do 200m-300m of easy breastroke/freestyle (or less, whatever your people can do)
-do some interval work. short distances (50m-100m) at a fast pace, rest, then go again
-or do a distance swim at a good pace
-have individual or relay races to make it fun
-try going as far underwater as you can; this is good for your lungs
-cool down is also very important; just something nice and easy
-also, since there is an aviation emphasis on this swim PT, try treading water for a certain amount of time, with our without extra clothes ( a flight suit would be great if you can get one) and try teaching them how to inflate pants or shirts to help them float and survive

I hope some of this helps

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If you want to be sporting and keep it fun: try some races, or possibly even relay races. Race one length with a particular stroke, or two lengths, or a 10 length relay.

(ex:down and back freestyle. Down and back breast stroke X 5 relay etc)

This will keep it fun, allow for some good exertion while allowing for some rest periods in between. Good teamwork building as well.

Maybe even put in an incentive for the winner of the biggest race?

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I'd suggest separating your weak swimmers from your strong swimmers and create a plan for both. Or pairing up strong and weak swimmers and follow a plan similar to the one stated above.

Treading water is a GREAT idea. I'd say 5-10 minutes of doing that would be a pretty solid test.

There are some great ideas already put up here.

Also if you've got some weak swimmers I'd say allow them to flip off the boots if they're struggling pretty hard.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

At my hockey referee training camp this year we talked about doing hypoxic pyramid workouts to help train and develop our lungs. They are pretty easy to do while swimming but you must be careful as shallow water blackout is real and drowning is frowned upon.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
If you want to be sporting and keep it fun: try some races, or possibly even relay races. Race one length with a particular stroke, or two lengths, or a 10 length relay.

(ex:down and back freestyle. Down and back breast stroke X 5 relay etc)

This will keep it fun, allow for some good exertion while allowing for some rest periods in between. Good teamwork building as well.

Maybe even put in an incentive for the winner of the biggest race?

Case of beer??????

navy09

None
Most people- even some that are decent swimmers- suck at treading water. Have them (in swim suits) tread water for several minutes with their hands out of the water, then rest, then tread for 30-60+ seconds with their arms out, repeat as much as you want. Have them focus on the "egg beater" technique vice the standard scissor kick, see YouTube if you're unfamiliar.

This is a popular water polo drill and it will make you very good at treading water. Doing it enough will make swimming/treading with cammies and boots a non-issue.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Crossovers are fun. Have them try to do a length of the pool underwater, taking a breath or two only as necessary. Give them a minute or so to recover, and then try coming back. Best to have a rescue swimmer or lifeguard in the water though, in case of a blackout.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

At my hockey referee training camp this year we talked about doing hypoxic pyramid workouts to help train and develop our lungs. They are pretty easy to do while swimming but you must be careful as shallow water blackout is real and drowning is frowned upon.

Crossovers are fun. Have them try to do a length of the pool underwater, taking a breath or two only as necessary. Give them a minute or so to recover, and then try coming back. Best to have a rescue swimmer or lifeguard in the water though, in case of a blackout.

Since the OP said that he was pretty new to swimming, I would highly discourage the whole 'see how long you can hold it' routine. In my experience as a lifeguard, this was discouraged in our own practices and with our patrons. You can easily take it too far and it can end badly.

C420Sailor's suggestion is probably the best, but make sure you have the appropriate safety personnel there observing.