• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swim help

Status
Not open for further replies.

punac

I'm an excellent runner but I can't even place in my age group for the swim so I must not know what I am doing. I need tips on how to improve my form doing the crawl, any advice is appreciated. Tks

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Read the Book Total Immersion

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/068481885X/qid=1071150759/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-0128704-8291203?v=glance&s=books

It's a great book and it will help alot.

Ben

NeoCortex

pilot
I like Kevin's idea, it's kind of like picking a winning horse. You get a horse to jump over a hurttle, if he can't make it, you shoot him. Do repeat until you can find a horse that can make it, and there you go, you've found a winner!!

Ben

JKD

Y-M-C-A...
Actually anyone who teaches a the upper levels of swim classes should be able to watch you and give you some pointers. Proper form makes a big difference in swimming.

Legs - not stiff, but flexible without a large bend in the knee (kids you tell to keep their legs straight, but you want some natural bend as you are swimming, toes pointed out, but once again, not stiff)
Arms - your arm comes out of the water with your elbow first. reach forward, thumb down, palm out. arm enters the water thumb first. turn palm to face back towards you, and push straight back along your body. repeat with the other arm. Hands should be slightly cupped to help move the maximum amount of water.

Hopefully this doesn't just confuse things more (it's hard to verbalize without demonstrating).

kevin

crawling: if youre crawling along the bottom of the pool, this is why you are moving slowly. if you can somehow use a blowup raft and paddle that should improve your time drastically.

dsweeney has good advice, except when you pull your hands back during your stroke underwater it should make a rather exaggerated "S" motion. mark spitz pioneered that.

NeoCortex

pilot
Kevin,

I was a swimmer for years, and I have had coaches tell me to do the "S" and coaches tell me not too. From expereince I haven't found that it makes a big difference, but that book Total Immersion, says not to. I found that the rest of the book was a big help, so I don't do the "S" now. Just a side note, that book was recomended to me by a number of SF guys that do ALOT of swimming, it works for them and it was a big help to me too.

Ben

kevin

never seen an olympic swimmer NOT use an S stroke. but who knows. then again, ive never seen an olympic swimmer use an inflatable raft with oar. i have seen some pretty attractive female olympic swimmers.....who was the one who got all the medals at sydney? i think it was jenny thompson....oh man, she's hot enough to make a priest burn his robes.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
yeah, my swimming teacher taught at the naval academy. it's always the "s", nothing else. i have the same problem, so i just swim with breaststroke, not front crawl. haven't swam in about 3 months b/c i twisted my knee and messed it up doing breast. BE CAREFUL!

Status
Not open for further replies.