• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS SWA 737 Engine Failure - Diverts to PNS

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
So this just happened - SWA 3472 N766SW

KathrynReport.jpg

Details here : http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2016/08/southwest-airlines-boeing-737-incident_27.html

- all safe at KPNS :) BZ to crew!

Last edited:

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The article details how the PAX were scared. Boom, smoke, emergency decent, o2 masks. As the unwashed masses, I could see how that is scary, but as a flier, it seems SOP.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do the airlines do Engineering Investigations like the Navy? Or is that an NTSB function? I'm certain they will be searching for the missing pieces.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
From the blur of the picture, it looks like the turbine blades are still free spinning...interesting...

From that Flightaware screenshot it looks like there was weather in the area. I wonder if there was some kind of issue with the bleed air system that caused the nacelle to rupture and separate when the nacelle anti-ice was turned on.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From the blur of the picture, it looks like the turbine blades are still free spinning...interesting...
That looks like the front of the engine fan. If those were turbine blades, I'd think you'd see a ragged front of the spool where it would otherwise have run forward to the compressor stages. Also a shitton more oil spewing everywhere, from that system being compromised. Fuel too. In fact, I can't think how you could crack the body of a split-spool engine in half to show the turbine blades from the front without the thing catching fire, because the combustor'd have to go too.

Almost looks like the front of the nacelle came off up to the first stage blades. I'm sure it FODed the living shit out of what's behind, but still.