• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Supply Corps - career opportunities on the outside

kacraven

I've heard some of the stories about how supply officers can land great, high-paying jobs after their Navy careers. I was just wondering how much time in the Navy it really takes before opportunities like this start opening up. If you get out after your initial committment is it really worth it or does it take a few more tours?

torpedo0126

I've heard some of the stories about how supply officers can land great, high-paying jobs after their Navy careers. I was just wondering how much time in the Navy it really takes before opportunities like this start opening up. If you get out after your initial committment is it really worth it or does it take a few more tours?

so your already counting the days until you can get out before you've gotten in eh?

I can't speak specifically to the supply corps, but having several friends who recently got out (2 aviators, one SWO(N) ) All of them found great jobs...I think having your military background as an officer overall is going to help tremendously.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

They can start 'opening up' after your first tour but the more experience you get the more you will get on the outside. If you get to the point in your military career where you get involved in the bigger logistics picture you will become very attractive to certain companies. A good buddy of mine who is an Army SuppO got out for a few years and had a good gig at Home Depot. His contemporaries got good jobs at place like FedEx, CSX and various energy companies. These were guys who usually had two to three tours under their belt, 6-10 years.

So it is basically up to you and what you want, it entirely depends on what you think is 'worth it'.

kacraven

so your already counting the days until you can get out before you've gotten in eh?

Lol no -- the contractual service committment is 4 years but I'm just wondering how long it takes before this career choice starts to pay off on the outside - it looks like 6-10? So probably a couple sea tours with a shore tour thrown in there somewhere?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lol no -- the contractual service committment is 4 years but I'm just wondering how long it takes before this career choice starts to pay off on the outside - it looks like 6-10? So probably a couple sea tours with a shore tour thrown in there somewhere?

Like I said, it depends on what you want to do and what is 'worth it'. My Army buddy got out and had a good gig at Home Depot, somewhat similar to what he had done in the Army, but he did not really like it and rejoined the Army.

My guess is that you will get better gouge from your fellow SuppO's, especially the more experienced ones.

snizo

Supply Officer
I know a few that got out after the initial commitment and had their pick of great jobs, as well. You could get out and do quite well for yourself after 4 years if you wanted.

Clux4

Banned
There is a plethora of things out there for SuppO's to do. The longer you stay in, the more marketable you are. Flash nailed it.
You can go the Federal Contracting route which is very lucrative or you could go to Supply Chain route. If you stay in long enough, you could get school seats at DAU for any of their courses which is pretty good on your resume.

An MBA would not hurt either.

I think we already discussed this issue in another thread. Use the SEARCH. The other one should have better info than this.

Bgoode

Hopeful Supply DCO
I'm an LS2 with an MBA and the opportunities are already out there just because of my supply experience and education..