• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

super hornet

Status
Not open for further replies.

O-man

Ok- whats the deal with the super hornet?....Why is it the the super hornet? whats the big changes in the F from past models? We were talking about it the other day and I realized that I had never paid any attention to the subject before and cant seem to find any info on it here. any info is appreciated. Thanks- O-man

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
The E is the single seat, F is dual. Super is called the "Rhino" at the ship so they don't get if confused with the old models. Most importantly it carries 33% more fuel. Instead of GE-404's...that produced 36k thrust, it's got 414's which produce 44k. You can read more about it at http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/f-18ef.htm

O-man

Thanks man-
icon_smile.gif

boobytrapper

Its pretty much a completely new plane. Its 25% bigger than the earlier Hornets. One article I read said that the DoD liked it because, even though it is a new plane, they would not have to deal with the normal hassles involved in buying a new plane because most people think it is a upgrade.

boobytrapper

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/f-18-pics.htm
The difference is pretty obvious in these pictures.

jwilliamsee

those things look like fun. The picture of the cockpit WOW! I wonder if the navy will thrat super hornets like a new plane with a new rag and pipeline or send guys flying older f-18 to fly them. I guess they could treat them like any other f-18 and possibly let all the f-18 guys switch in and out of them depending on needs...who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.