• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summer Seminar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clina

Well, I have just managed to re-arrange my exam schedual, so I can try and go the that Seminar that you have all been raving about. But the websight is, on some admittance points, less than informative.
banghead_125.gif

Do you have to do the PAE before you go? If so, if your scores aren't so good, can you take it again when you apply to the accademy for real a few months latter?

Do you have to do the Medical exam thing before you are accepted?

What other things do they ask for in the application?

Do you get to chose which subject you do in the lessons, or dose everybody do the same thing?

Just how soon did you know if you could go?

If allumni of the Seminar could answer my quenstions I would be DEEPLY greatful

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
I can answer based on what it was like when I went to Seminar and then as a squad leader, but keep in mind this was 4 years ago... You seem to be looking at some of the requirements for applying to USNA, not just Summer Seminar.
I took the PAE during Seminar. If you don't like your scores, talk to your gym teacher when you get home and re-take until you like them.
I don't remember there being a medical exam for the program, other than maybe a doctor's note if you are on some kind of medication.
The application I seem to remember pretty much asks for everything any other summer program might ask for- grades, extra-curriculars, sports. I don't remember there being an essay or anything like that, but if there was it was just like a paragraph on why you want to go.
There was a list of 20 or things to do- the different majors plus sailing and a few others. I think you pick 10 or so, but some fill up faster and you might not get everything you want.
Not sure when you find out, but I would request an application ASAP. (OK, having just looked at the admissions website, i guess you can't apply until 1 FEB. It doesn't look like much has changed since I was there.
Hope this helps.

Clina

Definately. Thank you SO MUCH for your information, smittyrunr.

I know that some of the questions I asked seemed more to do with the actual USNA, but when I read on the requirements for applying to the seminar, it mentioned 'Physically fit' and 'Healthy' etc., so I got a bit nervous about how they would work out if you fit the requirements.

Once again THANKYOU smittyrunr, but any more information and/or helpful hints are still welcome, especially about when you find out if you have been accepted.

futrMarineBlueAngel

Clina, I know how you feel about the website being "less than informative". I e-mailed the admin and asked a question about the seminar. The reply was simple, "check out our website at www.usna.edu." You gotta love the Navy. Why in the heck would I have e-mailed them a question if the answer was on the website..... :confused: Argg.....I guess they will answer my question by either accepting me this summer or not.

navyfan

Go to "USNA Admissions." click on "Summer Seminar" and click the "Apply." And then apply ASAP. Our son went last summer, and applied the first day the site came available. Don't worry about anything except gettting the application in ASAP. They only take about 600 students per session, and the first ones who apply, and the better they look, determines your fate to some extent. USNA wants Summer Seminar applicants who want them. So the date of your application makes an impression. Once you hear you're in, they'll explain everything else in the material they send you. Our son did not want to miss school, so he applied for only the last session and still got in. If you can get to an early one, choose it and the other ones, too. A large part of the admitted class every year comes from Summer Seminar students--they don't want to have people leave USNA during Plebe Summer, so they like to take students who have some experience at USNA. Our son was most impressed with the academics he was exposed to while there--and he loved the squad leaders he met. They do judge you somewhat the whole time you're there. They are looking for future leaders. And you can stand out physically and/or mentally. The last morning there is an award ceremony and individuals and companies that have distinguished themselves are highlighted. Summer seminar students are given application packets the last day and get a little bit of a head start on the process. Our son came home and had his package submitted in 2 weeks (by the end of July). And he's still waiting to hear. Remember, you need to get a nomination before you can get an appointment--and most congressmen don't make those until January. It's a long process--but getting into Summer Seminar and making an impression is a great start. SS will tell you whether you want to apply or if it not's the place for you--but it still won't give you the full picture of Plebe Summer. For that, you've just got to be there. But--if you're at all interested in USNA and you're a junior--APPLY. RIGHT NOW.

BYPASS

Good advise navyfan! I went to the SS and really enjoyed it. There were those that realized the Academy wasn't for them. Like your son navyfan, I too am waiting to hear something.

Clina

Well, I applied and today I GOT THE ACCEPTANCE LETTER TO THE SUMMER SEMINAR!!!!!!!! :icon_boun:icon_boun:icon_boun:icon_boun:icon_boun

As you can probably tell, I have not stopped bouncing off of the walls yet because I GOT ACCEPTED !!!!!:icon_boun:icon_boun:icon_boun

Sorry, I shall try and contain myself. It's just that i'm really really happy and very impressed at how fast they moved (it's been almost exactly a month sense I applied, and they already got the letter to me, even though I am on the opposite side of the Atlantic).

But THANK YOU ALL for your advice, and Good luck to those still waiting for a reply about the SS!:icon_mi_6 :clover_12

navyfan

Congratulations :>)) Now, relax, and wait for more information from USNA. Don't forget to send in your reservation deposit ASAP. USNA will send you everything you need to prepare for your week. If you are coming from far away, your parents might want to plan their summer vacation around your week. Ocean City is about an hour away, and there are tons of things to do in Annapolis. We took the USNA tour of the Academy one day and we stopped to watch noon formation--and our son walked right past our tour group (wouldn't look our way, of course!). There are also historical tours of Annapolis, walking and bus, as well as great boat tours of the bay. If you are lucky the weather will be mild. Our son's class was issued sweatshirts and sweatpants it was so mild. But the usual weather is steamy hot, so don't forget your fan! Hot weather will give you a truer picture of what Plebe Summer will be like--and that surely convinces some potentials to decide not to apply. Because of Isabel, though, Bancroft Hall got $$$ for renovation, which includes eventual air conditioning. Don't know when that will happen, though. Best of luck to you.

Clina

Thing is, ya see, I'm coming from a very long way away: London, England. And, technically, I have my school's permission to miss just that week and a bit. So I get to fly over the atlantic on my own, spend a night in the home of a friend of the families to de-jetlag, do the Summer seminar, then wait around in the Airport until my overnight flight back to England, (so I can do my last two weeks of school). Fun, eh?
After than I get to come back across the atlantic, this time with the rest of my family, for our anuall vist with the extended family. Joys of being an Ex-pat brat!

But thanks for the advice, maybe I will bully my parents into doing something similar someday.

ps I should be OK with the heat thing, the family I visit? They're in the Mississippi delta, so I doubt it could be much worse.

BYPASS

Clina-
Congrats! A few things to keep in mind. Yes, the heat can be tough, especially having to wear the sweats they give you on "mock plebe" day. Also, having to crawl through the mud with the sweats is a little more difficult than you think, but the adrenaline should keep you going. It definitely worked for me, especially taking the PAE. Try to get physically prepared as best you can and you'll have a great time!

Status
Not open for further replies.