• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Suggestions on where to live in Corpus?

Jr KLR

I'm heading to Corpus for Primary in a couple months and I'd like to live on the island, but does anyone have recommendations on which area on the island or some names of good condos/apartments?

Thanks.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I lived in Compass Bay... expensive, but within EASY walking distance to the big three (Farah's, Pelican's, Seven Seas (???... only been there once)), along with the Circle K. Don't rule out renting a house with your buddies either - usually cheaper than an apt by yourself, and a much better time to boot.

FlyFastNow

Blonde
pilot
Hands down living on the Island is the way to go. Its like our own little enclave of SNAs and (some) instructors. Friday nights at Farrah's is where you'll find a plethora of SNAs (the same ppl you see everyday at the squadron), SNAGs (student naval aviator groupies), and instructors (the only place to see your IPs in chokers falling down drunk).
On that note, I will be vacating my BRAND NEW CONDO in a few months if you are interested. Its on the island, 2 bedrooms 3 bathrooms, tile downstairs, carpet and a loft upstairs, and has a garage. If you're interested, send me a PM or your email and I'll send you more info and photos if you want them. If you have ever been down here, or know anyone, its right in the area where everyone lives; "right off of whitecap." Nice, quiet and safe neighborhood, with SNA neighbors.

NavyLonghorn

Living around the Baypoint area is kinda nice too, if you like living close to everything except a bunch of aviators and a few ****ty bars. Its knida nice to not have to drive 20 minutes to get some groceries.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Living around the Baypoint area is kinda nice too, if you like living close to everything except a bunch of aviators and a few ****ty bars. Its knida nice to not have to drive 20 minutes to get some groceries.

20 mins to get groceries? Blasphemous! Its the same exit as base, which means less than 10 min drive. And def live on the island/beach in Corpus if you can, it may be one of the few times you can afford to live on the beach in your early Navy years. My current roommate is mad he didn't live on the island there, cause he can't afford it here in Jax. Honestly, the drive to the main part of Corpus is likely to be less than what you'll have to drive in Jax, SD, or Norfolk anyway (helo plug there).

S.O.B.

pilot
Corpus Sucks. Live in San Antonio. If you can't handle the two hour commute, Compass Bay on the Island will do.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Most any place on the island... Get roomates- its cheaper that way.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I'm heading to Corpus for Primary in a couple months and I'd like to live on the island, but does anyone have recommendations on which area on the island or some names of good condos/apartments?

Thanks.

Pensacola, FL...

Good luck. ;0)

bfairfax

If you are looking for island living, The Rental Management Company is a good place to look. They are really helpful and rent out some nice places, but you'll need at least two roommates to take advantage of most of the big vacation homes they offer. Another place to look would be apartments on Ocean Drive. It's close to the North Gate of NAS (which is think is going to be open at more regular hours from now on), and it's also close to the stores/downtown and it's still on the water. Anyway, I think the link for the rental management company was in another thread, but just in case:

http://www.rentalmgmt.com/

kingsvillesucks

I lived on the island and loved it. It's close to the beach, Farahs and base. The only time it sucks is if you're considering going downtown, but that doesn't happen often, and even then, the other apartment complexes are only slightly closer and aren't really that much better off.

If you want to live on the beach, The Beach Club was the only apartment complex within walking distance. Although as of May 2006 it has been turned from an apartment complex into a condominium complex, nothing has changed renting wise... although nicer and remodled, it's still the same place and there are still one and two bedrooms for rent.

I'm renting a one bedroom if you or anyone else is interested...
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17708

kray1395

I commute to Kingsville but not from the Island. I live on the south side of Corpus so I don't have to fight any of the traffic out. It takes about 35-40 mins from driveway to front gate. Many IP's also live in the general area that I do and make that commute as well. I chose to live where I am knowing that I would be transferring to Kingsville. That being said, I know of at least two people that make the commute from the Island. One SNA and one IP. They seem to think that the money they stand to make on their property when they sell will make it worth it. It has to be at least a good hour commute from there. Maybe 55 mins on a good day.

If you're an SNA, plan on being made to live in Kingsville however. This is a recent change that the wing has made regardless of whether you're married or not. Depending on where you are in the pipeline however, that could all change again.