• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Suck it Up

J Dub

Heading down to PLC this summer we just had our quarterly PFT. Ive been real sick (vommiting, cough, etc yeh i should see a doc but i hate the doc) the past three weeks leading up to it and I was dragging it that morning. I almost maxed out the pullups and situps but then came the run. The first time I did a PFT I got a 21 something I nutted up and tried to do the best i could but ended up with a 24 something! Sucks
Down there if they see you got some balls and can fight through pain but do not perform that well on say a PFT Will they cut you some slack?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
The short answer is no, they are going to hold you to a high standard. The long answer involves a lot about the specifics of your situation. Best advice I can give you is to do whatever it takes to get better before you ship. There is a chance they will ship you back DQRed if you are too sick.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
If you fail the initial PFT, they'll pull you aside and try to scare you a bit. We had two guys in out platoon run > 24 minutes, and they were sent over to the colonel's office. Once there, they proceded to sit outside for 3 hours before talking to their regional recruiter (usually a major), and getting sent back to the squad bays on Company probation. There was talk of those with really low scores getting NPQed, but no one from our company was sent home. Some guy got a 190 and was still picked up... I think he put up a 275 for the Int PFT. Dont get me wrong, you want to be in the best shape possible when you get to OCS. Try to get past the sickness, and keep training.

Screamtruth

นักมวย
We had about 10 in our company sent home because of their initial PFTs...
Damn, that's harsh.

How does PLC work? I mean, I came from the Enlisted side through SD MCRD, so the DI's kind of .....persuade you......to more or less get through it, but I do not remember anyone failing the initial PFT, which was a 1.5 miler.

Is that how they do you guys for your initial in OCS and stuff as well? Or do you have to jet out the 3 miler as your first PFT in training?

Carno

Insane
Yeah, the initial PFT is 3 miles, and you're expected to be able to get a passing score. I mean, if you had a PFT score high enough to get accepted to OCS, you should be able to get the same PFT score at OCS.

They won't try to push you through it, because not everyone graduates from OCS. If you suck, you're going home.

riley

It is the full PFT course. You definitely want a first class, but like what was mentioned before, if you get over a 24 min run, you're in for some trouble....

As far as the PT, they work you up to greater intensities as the weeks progress. The first week we had a platoon run around a 7:45 to 8 min pace. By the end it was at or below 7 minutes.

Screamtruth

นักมวย
That would suck to be sent home for a PFT. For me, a Sh$tty score meant a lousy cutting score, thus no promotion. But, even before boot camp, I prepared for the runs, and once I arrived, the PFT wasn't nothing. I hate running, by the way.

TheFurr7198

min. for a first class at OCS is 225 i think. You will get probation/droped if you do not get that. It will depend on what you did on other events. You could be decent in two of the exercises and then they'll let you train. I think for each individual one though its like 9-10 pullups, 80 crunchs, and a sub 24 min run. If you get min on all of those then your pft wont be a first class. Max is 20 pullups, 100 crunchs in 2 min, and a 18 min 3 mile which isnt as bad as it looks. Pullups and crunchs should be guaranteed and just bring your run down.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Damn, that's harsh.

How does PLC work? I mean, I came from the Enlisted side through SD MCRD, so the DI's kind of .....persuade you......to more or less get through it, but I do not remember anyone failing the initial PFT, which was a 1.5 miler.

Is that how they do you guys for your initial in OCS and stuff as well? Or do you have to jet out the 3 miler as your first PFT in training?

OCS is not training, per se. It is a screening process--a 6 or 10 week job interview, depending on the commissioning program. There is a limited amount of learning there, but they are really only teaching stuff for the purpose of evaluating your knowledge later. All the real learning starts at TBS.

So there's not much encouragement going on. If you don't make it, you don't make it, and the staff generally won't care too much, since they figure you wouldn't have made a good officer anyway. In Boot Camp, attrition was to be minimized--they want to make Marines out of the raw material they've gotten. At OCS attrition is a necessary part of the course--it's to check whether you are bringing the necessary talents to the table. This is speaking in broad brushstrokes--boot does launch some recruits, and OCS doesn't flunk everyone it should, but those are the operating concepts.

Of course, "back in the day" they had 50% attrition on check-in day, 40% died of heat stroke, and 10% were thrown out at the CO's inspection. People will go back and forth about how much attrition is okay and everyone will always say their OCS class was tougher.

Carno

Insane
Speaking of attrition, how many candidates did yall's platoons lose?

My platoon started with 64 and graduated with 46. Two of them got dropped on the Friday of week nine :eek: