• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Submarine Supply

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In my first tour I worked in N4 (Supply and Logistics) for a TYCOM (COMSUBPAC), and I was pretty amazed with the $$$ monetary responsibility they gave the junior LTs there, up to the O6s and O5s running all the fiscal and accounting matters for the entire Pacific Submarine Fleet. I ran into a CAPT (SEL) down in Corpus when I was getting Winged, that was a junior LCDR when I first me him on that tour. The amount of experience managing all those supply related matters set him up so when he does retire he has pretty much got it made for a civilian job that will put my (if I go that route) airlines flight pay to shame... Maybe not as "glamorous" as flying, but a "chop" can also make or break a crew's morale by keeping the good food/parts coming, not to mention, never running out of TP (nah, that never happens!) lol.. yeah right!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Too bad they don't send first tour Chops to the boat (ie subs), that is a GREAT first tour for a Suppo, you do it all, but too many first tour Chops were failing and making mistakes that even got the COs in trouble...

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Originally posted by John WickhamNo DKs on board subs, and only 2 SKs.
What, were you short on room or something?
icon_smile_wink.gif
Guess I'm used to the surface fleet where no problem is too small to throw people at!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
LOL, yeah, pretty short on room, at least on the LA that I was on, let's not talk about the Hiltons of the seas! Those Tridents! Whew, talk about ROOM! Damn boomer fags had a running track, computer study room, and a galley/crews mess twice the size of ours, PLUS they were only out at sea for <90 days, and when they came back, they got off the boat and turned it over to the 2nd crew, so they didn't even have to deal with the boat for their "homecycle"....

yes yes yes, I got on the short bus that day when orders were handed out... and have been jealous ever since... no strike that, damnit I fly over all things haze and grey and get to land on shore and have a beer, so take that you trident weenies!
icon_smile.gif

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
I hear ya - I took a tour of an SSN (USS Jacksonville I think) last year in La Maddelena and it made our CG look pretty spacious!

LUCK = THE INTERSECTION OF PREPARATION AND OPPORTUNITY

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Without a doubt. Now imagine taking on riders, and giving up your rack, and getting the joy of "hot racking" with your closest shipmate... you know what they say about bubbleheads, "100 sailors go down, 50 couples come up"

But, on the CG, you weren't ships company, you had probably a five man stateroom all to yourselves, the flight crew, so what, 3 pilots? You had it all decked out in there, TV, DVD, Playstation2 and Xbox, maybe a bean bag chair and rugs, and every time the ship would run a drill, you would just laugh and smile, and say, "god I am glad I went aviation, pass the chips would ya?".

zornundo

SuppO on a Sub

How are the chances of getting a Sub spot directly out of Athens?

Also, what is life like for a SuppO on a Sub? :D

smell the glove

If you do all right at Athens, you have a decent chance at getting one if you want it. In some classes, they can't give them away. I know one guy who got a sub because he was on the losing end of drawing straws. If you're willing to suck it up, it can, however, pay serious dividends if you do a good job.

zornundo

ET-Mike, Buffalo Valley is a wee bit east of Nashville, exit 268 on I-40. Not quite West End Avenue, but it's good :D

gagirl

My SO graduated this past May from Supply school and I know that they had quite a few sub slots to fill. The top guys in the class were offered subs. If I remember correctly they didn't fill all of them. If there is a sub slot open and you're at the top then your chances are great. Halfway through the class they knew pretty much who would be offered subs if there were billets. Good Luck.

Chopteam6

Sometimes they have a ton of sub slots and not many people who want to go subs and sometimes it is the other way around. If the sub billets are limited you need to be in the upper percentage of your class or impress the instructors enought that they give you a favorable recomendation. Life as a Subchop is very demanding as you will be the department head during your first tour with no buffer between you and the co/xo. If you have a succesful tour you will be ahead of the pack coming off of surface ships. The usual pipeline for a sub chop is shoreduty followed by sea duty on an aviation platform ship (Carrier/LHD/LHA) where you will spend some time as the aviation supply divo and get your wings. While you colleagues are trying to bag a department head ride you will be able to work on post grad school or internship programs. If you are planning on pushing for a sub make sure you do well in the supply management and food service management classes in athens. Good luck.

mpdonnelly

My brother is at DH school in Athens after finishing a west coast divo tour on an FFG. He has been told all along that only the brightest get the sub spots, but has found out recently that's not entirely true. As with most things in the Navy it's all about timing. I know there were some hang-ups about him going to a sub as a lieutenant selectee, the detailer made some stink about him being too senior. But think about it this way, which sub CO wouldn't want an experienced officer running his supply department? The bottom line: it's doable. Just make it known early on that's what you want.