• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sub life

Status
Not open for further replies.

cougar23

Well, I'm currently about to be a soph. in college, and after this year I'll be able to start applying for BDCP. I'm also applying for USNA for the third time, but keeping my options open. Anyway, question is, I'm trying to decide to between SNA and NUPOC-Subs for when I apply, and I was hoping I could get a little feedback on what the career progression is like for sub guys? I've read in numerous sources such as this site and "The Naval Officer's Guide" like Division Off., Dept Head, etc, but I was wondering wat exactly each stop entailed, like duties performed, etc. I'm looking for more information because I read on another thread here about leadership for Aviators, and while I would love the oppurtunity to fly, I also want to know more about life aboard a sub. Thanks

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Just to let you know someone read this ...

Subs vs. Aviation is like apples vs. oranges. The two are just completely different lifestyles (typically with very different personality types). Your best bet is to try to speak with people from each community in person. Failing that, keep trolling for answers around here ... I know that some of these motivated guys will give you their version of the difference between the two communities.

Good luck!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What VarmintShooter said. Vastly, vastly different lifestyles and career paths. Subs is definitely the way to go though if you want to deal with big technology and intelligence/surveillance.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
My brother crashed into a sub guy once. The sub guy was so stoked that he was out of the sub that he didn't care, said he'd pay to fix his car himself and sat down with my brother and talked about the Navy for awhile. That's when I knew I never wanted to be on a submarine.

Edit:

NKWILS0: actually, he didnt even want to bother fixing it
NKWILS0: he was like...ehh......whatever
NKWILS0: i just want to go home

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
I have experiences in both communities. The sub "mission" is very cool....or at least it was back in the day. The JO's work their ass off and a lot is demanded from them(in both communities, much less sleep on a sub). The learning curve is very steep in both communities. But I've thought that the pilot side of the house was a combination of 'know this' and 'put the godamn plane where you want it' vice the sub side was more of an exercise in raw brain power...if that makes any sense. Both IMHO would be challenging and rewarding experiences. That being said.......Go for the damn pilot slot...hands down.

I have not seen the fleet yet as an aviator.....so take my .02 for what they are worth.

P.S. Food is WAY BETTER on a sub.....but hey you'll be flyin a plane. How many $500 hamburgers are you gonna get on a steel beach picnic :)

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
There was a former enlisted sub guy at my current job. He served on boomers I believe, but I could be wrong. He loved it, but granted he served in different times, always monitoring the Soviets and who knows what else. He always raved about the food (as Pcola already mentioned), and he said the camaraderie on board a sub is much different than any other community in the Navy, and I have to believe this to be true. Like everyone else said, there are distinct personalities for each community, I noticed this greatly when I spent my week at USNA, and I couldn't believe how noticible it was. If I were you, I'd try to find some current sub guys and ask around for their opinions. Good luck!

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
I had the opportunity to ask VADM Yogi Kaufman, father of the LA Class attack boat, that very same question, on behalf of my son. His answer was: "If I had it to do all over again, and I would, I would go Air."

They are very different warfare groups. On the margins there are differences, subs pay better, eat better, promote better (Do not think we have ever had an Airdale President). Sub partrols are very lonely experiences. You come back smelling like an Air Wick; albeit better than the old sewerpipes when you smelled like used motor oil for six weeks after the patrol.

With the bit about leadership being better in the Submarine Force, I disagree. Granted in subs you have more direct interaction, but leadership is outstanding in both communities, no difference.

Having served on both, discounting the flying aspect, I would much rather serve on an attack boat than an aircraft carrier. I hate bird farms. Never been on a boomer.

I would recommend two books, and yes a whole lot of research, talk to everyone you can. It is an important decision.

"Blind Mans Bluff" S. Sontage, C. Drew, et al.
"Nightingales Song" Bob Timberg

Good Luck.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Brett327 said:
While we're bashing the Chief... :DBrett

Need update my info as it is dated. I understand it is as follows: (rounded)

- - - - - - - - - - - - -Submarine - - - - Aviation

Acession Bonus- - - - - 12,800 - - - - - - 0

Continuation Pay*- - - -15,000/year - - 12,000/year

Incentive Pay*- - - - - -10,000/year - - 10,000/year

*Maximum

Incentive Pay (O3) - - -6,100/year - - - - 2,500/year

I have some emails that suggest SubPay Incentive Pay and Continuation pay are now on the order of 22,000 per year, authorized, but not currently paid at that amount.

Any "guidance" appreciated.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Chief said:
Any "guidance" appreciated.
Aviation bonus is currently $25K/year for pilots and incentive(flight) pay for folks in that bracket is ~$7200/year. :D Not intending to quibble about money, just putting it out there. ;)

Brett

cougar23

Well, let me say, the MONEY issue is not even getting factored into my decision. And as regards to those who have said, "go aviation cause you get to fly", I'm not one of those people that just wants to fly to fly, I'm looking at the whole officer experience overall here. I want to be a leader of people and (hopefully) leave a mark on at least the sailors under me, and ideally the entire Navy as well, while giving back to my country.

I was hoping to attend USNA, because I know you get to see the whole spectrum of communities there, versus applying OCS you already have to pick one. I'm applying for my third time now, and hopefully I'll get in, but if not, then this problem of deciding will still be an issue for me, because I become eligible for BDCP after this coming academic year.

I guess I'm looking for what a typical day would be like in each community, the types of challenges you would face in each, the type of leadership oppurtunities you would be able to get, etc. As someone stated, subs seem to have more direct interaction, while flying seems to be flying only, at least early in your career??? Anyone that can help tell me what a typical day/deployment would be like would be greatly appreciated.

hourocket

Bullseye
None
Well I spent a long 4 years onboard a submarine, USS Oklahoma City(fast-attack, Trident life is alot different than fast-attack life), from '98-'02. I was(still am until Dec) enlisted, that being I have never even come close to the aviation side of the house, but I can give you some insight on the subs. I have done one 6 month deployment doing "missions", and two 3 month deployments, one in the artic and one in the carribean. Sub life has its + and -. Time in port sucks, you are working your butt off, it is actually a break when you go out to sea, seems wrong, but that is the way it is. The Officer/Enlisted relationship is very close, you get to know your Officers, atleast the junior officers really well. The DH and up, well they are just too good for enlisted, j/k. Yes food is good and so is the pay, but one of the main reasons why I am not going back to submarines after I get my commission is that right before I left a new Ensign checked on board, he was prior enlisted, and during my last deployment I was talking to him about officers and stuff like that, and he said if I get a chance to get away from subs, do it, because he hated it. As a JO on subs, you worked your butt off doing quals, because you are worthless until you can stand a watch.

Okay, there are good things with subs, you do cool crap, you do some cool stuff, and you get to do some cool things. But to bad that you cant tell anyone what you did. I can add more if you like, but my fingers hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.