• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

study tips for the interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

bedrock1981

For those that have been through the technical interviews, how did you prepare? I have a little over a month to study. At this point I am feeling a bit ovewhelmed with material. I graduated over a year ago with a Mechanical Engineering degree. I know we need to know calc and physics cold, but how many questions are asked specific to your major. I know it varies from major to major, but there is a lot of material to cover with an ME degree. Right now I am studying the guide and going over old notes and textbooks. Do they ask questions right out of the guide? Any advice?

Thanks

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Here's the thing that's a little unfair about being an ME:

You've got way more that you can be tested on, than say, a biology major.

For starters, you're going to be interviewed by a mechanical engineer. Second, since you've already graduated, they can ask you anything on your transcript, and you're further removed from it than the other applicants.

Each interviewer will probably ask 2 or 3 questions, some will be basic physics and calc, but I also got strength of material questions, fluids, questions about my senior design project, some Thermo, blah blah blah. I was in the same situation as you, and needless to say, I got, and bombed the 3rd interview.

Good luck.

sonshine

PLC06 Applicant
ok this may be a little off subject but... do they only quiz you on your major during your officer interviews if your major is technical?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
People with non-technical majors at the interviews actually have somewhat of an advantage in my opinion. A poli sci major from the Academy can really only be asked physics and calc questions, and then maybe questions like "derive the formula of a circle" or "derive the spring constant."

Not sure if this answers your question

bedrock1981

Thisguy,

Thanks for your input, but I was more interested in how to better prepare myself for the interviews. What did you do to study? How much did you study? I know what to do for the calc and phys but the other stuff I just don't know there is so much of it. I'm thinking I will just go over old examples, and go over the major concepts of all the ME classes I took. What do you think?

Thanks

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Bedrock,

That's a pretty good plan. Even though everything on your transcript will be fair game, I don't anticipate the interviewer asking you anything from a senior elective course or anything, but keep in mind the interviewer has your transcript in front of him. I would say study the basics like Thermo, Statics, Dynamics, and Strength of Materials. Also, pay attention to any deficiencies on your transcript, if you got a "C" in fluid Dynamics, you may want to brush up.

sonshine

PLC06 Applicant
Thisguy said:
People with non-technical majors at the interviews actually have somewhat of an advantage in my opinion. A poli sci major from the Academy can really only be asked physics and calc questions, and then maybe questions like "derive the formula of a circle" or "derive the spring constant."

Not sure if this answers your question

yeah, thats what I was lookin for... thanks.

bedrock1981

Well I had my interviews this past weekend and I did very well. I think I actually over studied for it. I only had two interviews and I had no hangups on either of them. The ADM's interview was very intimidating. I was really nervous before I went in to see him. He let me in though. Glad it's over. Thankyou to everyone for all your input, it really paid off.

Status
Not open for further replies.