• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stretching/Sit-reach

schwarti

Contributor
Anyone have any tips for quickly improving flexibility for the sit-reach? I've been stretching for months, and while I've made a lot of progress, I still can't really touch my toes. On my PRT for selection, I just pulled as hard as I could and did it (and I'm lucky I didn't hurt myself), but I've heard that at OCS you have to be able to hold it. Has anyone actually rolled/failed for not being able to pass the sit/reach? :confused:

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I'm pretty sure nobody in the history of PRTs has failed b/c of the sit and reach. Not because they maybe shouldn't have failed, but because this exercise and it's execution was given its due regard.

I have a 36 in inseam. I hate the sit and reach. I asked a buddy who's a physical therapist to help me out. He found that my Q angle was way out of rig. (Basically the muscles on the back side of my knee were too tight, probably because I wasn't actively stretching them after runs.) Try standing, hands on hips, extend one leg and dig your heel into the deck. "Push" that extended leg, driving heel into deck. Switch legs. Do it a few times per leg, really feeling the burn.

Worked for me. YMMV.

AJB37

Yoga, plus there is the added benefit of hot milfs in spandex... can't go wrong.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Witnessed 3 people fail the sit-and-reach for an IN-PFA at OCS...but if you stretch at night you should probably be OK.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
What is the req for the sit and reach anyway?

Sitting with your legs extended. Stretch out your hands and maintain your hands at your toes or beyond for a couple seconds for the person to verify and record.

WIDGET

i'm not condoning cheating... but ... if you decide to...
a buddy of mine would slip his heels ever so slightly out of his shoes so that the toes would point back farther. and IT WORKED!
Another piece of advice - don't get caught. I don't imagine that would be too pretty.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
i'm not condoning cheating... but ... I'm going to tell you how to cheat.

Summarized your post for you.

If you can't touch your toes... either you suck, or you need to see an orthopedist or something.

WIDGET

Summarized your post for you.

If you can't touch your toes... either you suck, or you need to see an orthopedist or something.

otto - thanks for the help.
hey... it's not all that easy for people with t-rex arms. (why is there a smiley icon for everything except a dinosaur??)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
hey... it's not all that easy for people with t-rex arms. (why is there a smiley icon for everything except a dinosaur??)

T rex arms or not... it is ALWAYS possible to touch your toes. When I was heavily into tae kwon do, I could do the splits and touch my forehead to my knees. If that's what it took, and you wanted to pass the sit and reach, you'd do it. ;)

P3 F0

None
Witnessed 3 people fail the sit-and-reach for an IN-PFA at OCS...but if you stretch at night you should probably be OK.
Are the PRT rules more strict at OCS? In the fleet, the sit and reach is not a failable item. It is a part of the PRT, but you can't fail because of it.

WIDGET

T rex arms or not... it is ALWAYS possible to touch your toes. When I was heavily into tae kwon do, I could do the splits and touch my forehead to my knees. If that's what it took, and you wanted to pass the sit and reach, you'd do it. ;)

got pictures?

i definitely hear where you're coming from. i'm not saying it's impossible or even that difficult. i just remember my buddy sweating it the morning of the PFA, and nervousness could be better spent elsewhere.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
Do 20-30 minutes of aerobics in your target zone(running, biking etc.) then stretch out. Relax and work your hip flexors as well as hams and calves. Stretch your calves by standing on a box or step and pressing your heels down. You can do bar work (ballet) for upper and lower body or karate stretches for legs. Pilates is good for core training and stretching, and you'll probably be the only man in a given class.

utak

Someone call for a T-Rex icon?

trex-omg.gif

Speaking of which, I wonder what Mr. T-Rex would think about the sit and reach....