• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Strategic sealift officer

Chris94

CWO selected
I'm planning on attending Cal Maritime and I just learned about the Strategic Sealift Officer route. Does anybody have any experience with it that can give me more info that the site offered?

azguy

None
It's a reservist program for merchant mariners and only applies if your program grants a CG license. You are also required to use your license upon graduation for a number of years in a private shipping company.

They'll help pay your tuition in exchange for you coming in two weeks a year to drive our oilers. If WW3 breaks out they will call you in to active duty to serve on the oilers.

In other words if you love driving ships and were planning to be a civilian mariner anyway it's a good deal. Not a good path to a commission.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
You don't just have to ship out, you need to keep your license active and be involved in a industry related to you license. And you don't have to wear the enormous pin that I may occasionally wear because no one knows exactly what it is.

exNavyOffRec

You don't just have to ship out, you need to keep your license active and be involved in a industry related to you license. And you don't have to wear the enormous pin that I may occasionally wear because no one knows exactly what it is.

Is that the "Sea Chicken" that people refer to?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Is that the "Sea Chicken" that people refer to?

I still will occasionally wear the old pin because I don't wear it enough to bother:

1. doing the work to get the Strategic Sealift designation

2. Spend the money to buy a new pin that I might wear once or twice a year

.image.jpg

Renegade One

None
I still will occasionally wear the old pin because I don't wear it enough to bother:

1. doing the work to get the Strategic Sealift designation

2. Spend the money to buy a new pin that I might wear once or twice a year

.View attachment 12790
I dunno…any qual/designation is a good one, yes? Mess dress thingies are always a nice conversation starter…and a reason to "toast" another community who all serve for a common purpose.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I dunno…any qual/designation is a good one, yes? Mess dress thingies are always a nice conversation starter…and a reason to "toast" another community who all serve for a common purpose.
Concur - I have five, but can only wear two. Proud of the other three though :)