• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stock buybacks & Airline CEO Greed

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Yep, I've seen this article a couple times already from other friends and acquaintances.

In the history of the human race and distribution of wealth, we've got a pretty good system in the United States and the western world in general because it limits this kind of behavior and it's more socially stable than most (I mean in the big scheme of things and a very broad sense) in a way that has helped give it good longevity.

But part of human nature is that people will keep trying, that means all kinds of behavior good, bad, and everything else... including the masses who are on the losing side to push back. This is the kind of stuff that philosophers write about. Remember, it's less important what your beliefs are than what a million other people's beliefs are. I just hope it doesn't get too ugly.

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
I’m amazed cruise lines are being considered for the bailout. If the want to duck taxes by registering in the Bahamas or Panama, go to those countries for a bailout package.

Maybe they won’t be included in the final bill, but it seems like they are at least included in the talks.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m amazed cruise lines are being considered for the bailout. If the want to duck taxes by registering in the Bahamas or Panama, go to those countries for a bailout package.

Maybe they won’t be included in the final bill, but it seems like they are at least included in the talks.
A lot of their employees aren't American either, so it's not like we're preserving a bunch of US jobs.

HuggyU2

None
I’m amazed cruise lines are being considered for the bailout.
Thank you! My wife was ranting about this earlier today.

They registered their ships in Liberia and elsewhere to dodge safety, employment, union and other regulations that we have here in the US. Can you imagine an airline doing that? Oh wait! They have! And everyone at a US-based airlines guns for them (rightly so). Nice to see them fold up and fail.

The "cruise industry" is not a necessary for the economy of the United States. They don't make the cut.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
If there's one thing we would be fine without AND it would make a massive positive environmental impact is if cruise ships went away in this world.
I'm totally picking up what you're putting down, but do you have a reputable source for this?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
FINALLY a discussion about the Jones Act! As far as I know the only cruise ship flagged in the US is the NCL Pride of America. Where my Kings Pointers at!

Right here bro, and I agree- cruise lines should 100% NOT be included in any bailout package for all the reasons stated above. We are not here to bail out Panama. Additionally, regardless of flag, cruise lines are purely a luxury service, whereas airlines are critical to our transportation infrastructure in this country.

What are other airlines like Hawaiian and Alaska doing to survive this epoch?

Last edited:

Sonog

pilot
I'm totally picking up what you're putting down, but do you have a reputable source for this?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamese...alth-and-environmental-problems/#5df767e237db

Just the tip of the iceberg. End of the day though when going through the list of things we can make green, we get stuck when it comes to air travel and ocean travel right? Lots of benefits to the economy and our lives to balance out for air travel and ocean trade, but do we really need 1000 room, mobile luxury hotels to be spewing trash and pollution wherever they go?