• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA21 College Question

aircrew1221

Ok so I thought that for summer terms you only had to take 6 credit hours and then 15 during the regular year but my husband is being told 9 credit hours during the summer. Does anyone have a link to the instructions where it states how many credit hours are required by STA21. Thank you in advance!!

haubby

None
Contributor
The actual instruction can say one thing, the specific NROTC unit could say another. My ROTC unit states that full time status is nine credits vice the six the college requires.

Flyboylance

New VR FTS select
pilot
I took as many courses as I could in the summer to ease up my fall and spring terms.. Summer classes are a great time to knock out those hard classes like physics and calculus, if you don't mind putting in a little hard work..

Here the site:

https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/edu.html

Lance

torpedo0126

Google "Regulations for Officer Development" aka The ROD. It is the document that NROTC, STA-21 and MECEP run by. I'm willing to bet it will give you your answer.

Haubby is right though, the CO has a tremendous amount of power in determining individual NROTC requirements.

For instance, when I was in NROTC, several MIDN would skip their 2nd Class cruises in order to take ORGO in the summer (medical corps aspirations). Only the 1st class cruise is required by the ROD, but our CO put the kaibosh on that and made sure everyone went on cruise.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Since the Navy only gives us $2000 during the summer, the typical answer to the "how many credits do I have to take" is "how many do you need to graduate?" As long as you can stay on track with your degree plan, ROTC units will usually let you justify taking fewer courses during the summer. The big thing is that you stay on track to grad in < 36 months.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
There is no reason that you should take more than you NEED.

I only took 13 hours last Fall and it was no trouble getting permission. Just dropped a chit and the XO gave the nod. As long as you have a plan and you are staying on top of your classes there is no reason for anyone to make you take more classes.

aircrew1221

Thanks!! My husband will graduate in about 24 months so there isn't a need for him to do more than necessary, the school just said it was what they required but he had to go in today to meet with the XO and CO so he was going to get it all straightened out!!
Thank you for your replies!!!

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
While there is no reason to take more classes than you need, it is really up to the CoC as to how many classes you are going to take regardless. I was a senior when I got into the program so depending on the schedule I actually needed to take between 5-8 credits during the school year and 0 classes during the Summer. What actually ended up happening? I've taken 14 credits every semester and 6 credits every summer.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
15 sem hrs fall/spring and 6 in summer here at JU/UNF/FCCJ

If you can't/don't meet that, send a chit up to the XO/CO and it usually gets approved.

torpedo0126

Thanks!! My husband will graduate in about 24 months so there isn't a need for him to do more than necessary, the school just said it was what they required but he had to go in today to meet with the XO and CO so he was going to get it all straightened out!!
Thank you for your replies!!!

might want to have your husband post because there are some things that could be getting lost in translation.