• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 Waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tpennb

Hello to all. I'm applying for FY06 STA-21 and was wondering if anyone knew/knows/heard of anyone getting in that had a waiver for Captain's Mast. I had a drinking violation (Art 92) last year, and got 30 days restriction (i.e. no page 7.) Other than that, minus my lack of experience, I don't think my package is too bad. Starting college classes this spring, hopefully the emphasis on that isn't decisive, have a 1370 SAT, meritoriously promoted to E-2 and E-3, top A school grad, just took my third class exam, volunteer a good bit, have 4 strong letters of recommendation, etc. So if you know anyone that has applied or thought about it, or just general advice, I would appreciate it.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/er.html
It does not mention the possibility of a waiver here. I don't mean to discourage you, but I don't think anyone here has had a captain's mast in their entire carreers, much less in the past year. I wouldn't get my hopes up until the three year time period has expired.

Tpennb

No offense, but I assumed I would get said response. A waiver is possible, I have asked. I would go so far as to say that waivers are possible for every requirement that doesn't specifically say no waivers. Thanks for the input.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
It never hurts to apply. The worst that could happen is they say no. Which is the same as notapplying. So, you don't havy anything to lose by applying.

KBayDog

Again, different service, different program, BUT:

A friend of mine applied for MECEP five times. (It's an annual board, so you can do the math.) Anyway, the year of his fifth try, he got NJP - IN GRADE. This wasn't when he was a junior enlisted, either - he was relatively seasoned.

Nevertheless, the board must have looked at the whole picture: His prior performance, his character, and his potential, as he was selected and is now a highly successful infantry officer. I think the key was his recommendations, which included a very, very good rec from the officer that gave him NJP.

You seem to be in the same situation - Outstanding sailor, who just had a one-time brain fart. It's okay, it happens...that's why we have NON-JUDICIAL punishment. (If they court-martialed us for every infraction, we would have more brig guards than trigger pullers!) I bet it would have been nice to get away with a slap on the wrist, but in some cases, a commander's hands are tied.

Bottom line: You'll never know until you try. APPLY! In the mean time, do everything you can to strengthen your package. I would even suggest getting a letter of recommendation from the officer that gave you Captain's Mast. My guess is that he would be more than happy to help you out - it would be "proof" that his non-judicial punishment worked...it corrected a minor problem, and you continued to drive on.

Ex Rigger

pilot
I know a guy, can't say who but he had been to mast twice, one for a DUI. One of the best guys and sailors I've ever met. Anyways, he applied for the old Seaman to Admiral and got denied twice and then applied to STA-21 when it opened up and got it. So the key is KEEP trying and you better be **** hot!

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
Was it three years since his last mast when he was picked up? If he got denied STA twice then that seems like at least two years went by.

Ex Rigger

pilot
Sorry, I should have mentioned that. The three year thing is a given as far as I know. There may be a waiver but that just means you can apply...doesn't mean you'll get it. Like I said three years after, keep your nose clean, and be the most sh** hot guy in the squadron, ship, etc. and you'll have a good shot. You just took a rung out of the ladder to success. You can still make it your just gonna have to jump a little bit to clear the hole....

Status
Not open for further replies.