• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STa-21 Question

Superclub

pilot
After reading various posts in this forum it seems that college credits are super important to an Sta-21 app. Is this a requirement, or do boards just not give much weight to an applicant without college credits? Thanks for any answers

mistisocracka

from what i understand they are supposed to help. however its not everything. me for instance. i beat out alot of guys i work with who would only have to do 1-2 years of college to finish their degrees and i have 0 credits so there must be more important factors that come into play. just my 2 cents.

Superclub

pilot
If you don't mind me asking mistis, what was your package: SAT scores, high school activities etc.

hourocket

Bullseye
None
I too had very little credits (6 hours) and I was picked up, so I know they look at much more than just your college credits. The main thing is your potential of graduating, like if you have more than one job in the navy which shows you can multi-task, stuff like that. I really dont think there is a set form of what they want becuase in my class, we had everthing from SA with less than 1 year in and then we had 13 year chiefs, so who know. Just put your package in and keep trying, dont worry about what the next guy has.

CO endorsement, I believe, is the "meat and potatoes" of the STA-21 package. Recommendations and good evals can't hurt. Those seemed to work for me.

LoneSailor

Well I know a guy that got picked up who had never stepped into a college class room. The only thing he had going for him was his SMART transcript. Then again he was a 4 year first class, and warfare qualed.

mistisocracka

CZeidNF said:
If you don't mind me asking mistis, what was your package: SAT scores, high school activities etc.

well i only had an average academic package. 1280=SAT, 3.3 hs gpa, 0 college. i think the biggest things that got me in were my personal statement and co recommendation. being a nuke applying to the nuke field probably helped but from what advise i was given for my personal statement i focused on my improvment in academics and character since joining the navy. i never saw my co's recommendation but i heard that ours was a nice guy and usually put in good words for anyone at our command (assuming you deserved it). theres a sticky posted about lessons learned from this years applications writen by a board memeber. after reading it i noticed that what i did for my package followed alot of what he wrote. being at a training command my evals were only average since we dont have a chance to really stand out.

inregard to what rocket said dont worry about everyone elses. my chief told me that i had a weak package and my chances were slim. and now i report to NSI on the 19th so it doenst hurt to give it a shot.

NFOKP

We have only 36 months to complete a bachelor degree. Depending on the major, it takes the average undergrad about 4 years to do this. Of course, sta-21 mids will not be going on summer cruises and taking classes instead, but completing a 4 year degree in only 3 years? How do they do it without having at least a few college courses knocked out?

Crowbar

None
NFOKP said:
How do they do it without having at least a few college courses knocked out?

You take more than 12 hours per semester. Also, dude, "STA-21 mids" is not the preferred nomenclature, "OC" please.

NFOKP

Right on, but any courses you can take (especially gen ed) before you start will definitly ease the course load.

hourocket

Bullseye
None
Yes, it is a must to take more than 12 hours per semester. I avg. about 15-18 hours per, I had only 6 transfer credits. Remember, your only job is to graduate, thats it.

mistisocracka

after my freshman year im taking 18 hours per semester (except for summer but its still 12 hours). so the work load is going to be interesting.

dhchun

Not quite sure if your only job is to graduate. Some NROTC units have you fully integrated into their Battalion. Some of the leadership billets can consume a lot of your time.
18 credits per Fall/Spring
12 credits for 2 summers
+
a lot of NROTC time