• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 Pilot Training Chances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nfs_127

I've read a lot of the stuff on here and on the STA website and was wondering what your chances are to get Pilot if you do STA. The reqruiter here swears by the STA-21 Program but then again his job is to get me yo sign up and who knows if its true. I'm wondering if any of you have any personal experince with getting pilot slots, If its one of those one in a million shots or If you stand a real chance to make it as long as you do a good job while on active duty? Also, friend of mine said his T-34c Class was atleast 40 percent prior enlisted this was several years back, is this still true?

STA-21-INTEL

I am in STA-21 now and, although I am INTEL, I believe there were something like eight Pilots slots filled this year. I know one personally as he came from the same squadron I did, and a couple of others are going through BOOST with me now. Basically, I think if you really shine, you've got a shot at Pilot, but I know plenty of guys here that wanted it but got picked up CORE and will try again later.

Pilot Slots

There were 43 Pilot selections for the FY-04 STA-21 board out of 430 selectees, exactly 10%. This is usually the amount they pickup. I am currently in BOOST/NSI with 7-8 other pilot selectees and it seems that good scores on the ASTB carry the most weight with the board, so study hard. Prior flight time doesn't hurt either. Hope this helps.

Travis

STA21pilot

Read It. Believe It.

Hey,

Here is the page with the stats from FY05's STA-21 stats.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3557&page=4

Check it out. Granted in 04 there were about twice as many selects, but who knows what's up & coming. This year they're trying to reduce the Navy by like 8,000 sailors (someone check me on that). When I joined I had to wait 2 weeks to get in, now some guys are waiting 8-9 months to get it... read:

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7990

Not to mention, I don't know if the Navy puts this out at recruiting stations. The Navy has what's called HYT and PTS (High Year Tenure and Perform to Serve). The first is basically a reduction of the current enlisted force with numerous years, but a lack in pay-grade (Not high enough rank). And they're making these people leave. The second is currently facing almost all (check me on that too) first tour sailors. If you re-enlist that's your second tour. Anyways, in order to stay in some over manned rates you must be an EP sailor on your eval and some even still have to request to stay Navy. Otherwise you must cross-rate to an undermanned rate. MA I think is still undermanned. There's a few more specifics, but basically the Navy wants more advanced and competitive sailors, with the grit and fortitude to serve.

So, you tell me, without any other inferences. What is happening in the officer ranks. The Navy can not guarantee you anything. I'm pretty sure the Marine Corp can. Needless to say. I've been trying to become a Pilot forever now. And I too would love to fly Hornets, is that necessarily a reality? Well I have the first most important step done, but it didn't come easy, and I've been through many trials trying to get here.

It is absolutely possible, and if you want it bad enough to sacrifice time, energy, and be disciplined you can get it. There will be countless obstacles in your path, but with the some resolve, determination, and help from God. You can get it.

STA21Pilot

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
Regarding the prior enlisted folks in flight school.....The day I checked into my squadron at primary, three of us out of six were priors. I dont think 50% is typical by any means, but prior enlisted guys are pretty common. You will have a couple in every class.

P.S.
STA-21 is an awesome deal. The recruiter is not lying.

nateb

I knew it. I'm surrounded by a**holes!
STA-21 is a great program. It is not what I would call the easiest way to a commission. Not that any path to a commission is particularly easy. Keep in mind that whatever job you come into the Navy as an enlisted person to do you will be doing for several years before you're even likely to be competitive for the program. Carefully consider what job you would be coming in to do. For one, you will have to perform well in this job to be competitive and it is easier to perform well in your job if it is something you enjoy. Also, there is always a chance that the cards may not fall in your favor and this job will be what you will do for your stay in the Navy. My enlisted experiences were great, and I would not trade them for anything. Though it was not always fun, it was always a learning experience. Good luck in whatever you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.