• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 Pilot Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

PR1_T

Hey guys, I am a PR1 who is submitting an STA-21 Pilot Option package this cycle and need some help/advice. I am composing my personal statement, and I have a very strong one written, but i did not address the fact of becoming a pilot in it. I have no flight experience. I have worked in the aviation maintenance side of the house for my naval career and work with and around pilots every day. My degree will be in Mechanical Engineering once completed and I have an extremely good technical/mechanical aptitude. I kicked butt on the ASTB & SAT(i feel like i did, but still awaiting scores). So with that said, do you think I need to address the fact I want to be a pilot in my personal statement? I have mine more geared towards why I want a commision as an officer and how it would benefit the navy. I mention nothing about the specific field (pilot) that I want to go into. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

phrogs

You need to look at the application instruction. Here's a link to it.
https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/opnavinst1420_1a_chap8.pdf
the top paragraph on page 8 tells you about your statement and what it needs to have in it. To answer your question, Yes, you need to say something about the field you want. Good luck.

Phrogs 4 Ever!!!!

PR1_T

thanks for the help, I guess i was way off the mark on my statement. So what do you think my odds are....i have kick ass test scores, good at math, physics etc. I have not attended college in 6 years though, but i do have enough to complete the degree in less than 36 months.

PR1_T

Anyone have an example of some cover letters. I have a few but they don't take me in the direction I need to go in. Maybe I am putting too much sweat and worry into making this statement what wins the board over for me, when really it relies more on your interview and mostly the CO's recommendation

STA21pilot

Good Luck PR1,

I'd love to see you at NSI next summer! I had some help on my personal statement, but I made sure to mention the ESSENTIALS that are mentioned in the block of the personal statement ie. "Member should mention knowledge of the specific designator applying for." But, It really does come down to your boards, of course all the boards (if you're sincere) will relect the same general appearance due to your presence and responses. Good luck, I'll keep you posted of my progress also. I'm applying from TSC San Diego, and you? Let me know.

STA21Pilot

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
Well, here's a little tip for you...
I'm a FY-03 selectee (at NSI right now), NFO option. I'm a Nuke (well, ex-nuke now, I guess); a machinist's mate, to be exact, with absolutely no aviation field experience. When I wrote my statement, I was really interested in SpecOps and Intel. I wrote an awesome statement, but the only mention I made of my desired field, was that I wanted to work in spec ops, and one day end up at DARPA. I mentioned the fact that I was also interested in Aviation. You don't have to explicitly declare your option, however, theme your statement in that direction. Also, keep in mind that the single most important factor in your selection is your CO's interview. He does look at your 3-officer board results and your statement, but you will fare much better if you have a good rapport with him to begin with. I was fortunate enough to have dealed directly with mine prior to even considering STA-21, and I had really impressed him. So whatever you can do to build a rapport with him, do it.
just my 2cents.
GOOD LUCK!

PR1_T

Well all my boards are done now. They went smoothly and covered most of what I had prepared for. I got my SAT's back and made a 1200 after not being in school for six years now. ASTB score is due back any day and I feel like I aced it. The pulled a lot of packages at my command due to low test scores so now there are three of us and heard trough the grapevine that I was #1. I guess I will sit back and hold my breath until October! Hopefully we'll meet up at NSI.

Warlord

SNA Hopeful
Dumb question from a non-military guy... what's a CO? Commanding officer? Does this only apply to current military guys, and if so, is that why there's an interview involved?

AZSkegee

CO is the commanding officer, and a interview is required so he/she may recieve a favorable personal representation of you, but only your division /LCPO/LPO will have a clear idea of the type of worker you are, unless you work directly for the Old Chalie Oscar, CO for you civies' hope that helps warlord

AZSkegee

CO is the commanding officer, and a interview is required so he/she may recieve a favorable personal representation of you, but only your division /LCPO/LPO will have a clear idea of the type of worker you are, unless you work directly for the Old Chalie Oscar, CO for you civies' hope that helps warlord

Navy Swimmer02

Hey everyone. I recently enlisted in the Navy and will be leaving for boot camp on January 21, 2004. I am going Aircrew and hope to move on to Rescue swimmer school. Eventually I would like to become a Navy Pilot. I have heard alot about the STA-21 program but I am still gathering info and research it. However my eyesight is not 20/20. I have about 46 college credits already. what should be my next step in becoming a Naval officer and Pilot through the STA-21 program?

cjettaf

BLACK SHOES
NavySwimmer02, Congrats! You are doing the first step for the STA-21 program. The two things looked for are your leadership ability and your ability to complete a bachelors degree. Since you have not yet gone to boot camp, try to obtain leadership roles in the civilian world, i.e., big brother, in your job, etc. For the ability to complete a degree, you have to take the ACT/SAT along with submitting your transcripts. The most important factors for your package are your CO's recommendation and the officer interviews. Do not get discouraged if you aren't accepted the first time, it took me 2 times before I was picked up. https://www.sta-21.navy.mil

Navy Swimmer02

What kind of scores are they looking for on the ACT/SAT? I just took the SAT on Saturday and I feel I did okay on it. I know the requirements are 500 math 500 verbal, but is the competetion tougher than that. Also, after I finish my intial training and receive my first duty station. How long after that should I apply for the STA-21 program. I know for a fact that I want a career in Naval aviation. Im just want to make sure that I am going about it the right way. Thanks for the info. I'll keep in touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.