• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 Credit Requirements During Summer Semesters

Johnny25

I was wondering if there is any specific requirement as to the number of credits you must take during the summer semesters while in STA-21. I know the instruction says "full-time student," however different Universities have different requirements. Also I will easily be able to complete my degree in the 36 months and even graduate early. I want to take 7 credits as opposed to the 12 that the University says is full-time during the summer. Can anyone give me some guidance? My LT seems to think I only need 6 credits in summer and 12 in fall/spring but we can't find that written anywhere.

haubby

None
Contributor
Typically its just two classes (six credits) during the summer. You can do more or less if you want. The 12 credits in the fall are not including 3 credits of Naval Science so you should actually be required to have 15 or more. Situations differ but my last semester here I will just be taking 10 credits and thats fine too. The main thing is making sure you can graduate within the alloted time.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
My LT seems to think I only need 6 credits in summer and 12 in fall/spring but we can't find that written anywhere.
LT is right; the instruction just says you have to be a full-time student. The school is going to define what a full-time student is, and that's usually 6 in the summer and 12 regular semester. The registrar could tell you. The Naval Science stuff haubby mentioned was only 1 credit a semester for me, but it counted towards your requirement. I suck at math, so during calc/phys semesters I took one less class. My last two semesters I took 12 hours, and I think I did 6 hours in the summer.

Good luck!

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
Taken straight from the website select other link at top then conditional selectees/alternate information package.

"c. Condition 3: Submit an official degree plan from the above college/university that indicates you can graduate by the age limit of the designator in which selected and within 36 months. Your degree plan must be approved and signed by a university academic advisor or the NROTC STA-21 academic advisor at your desired university to be considered official. Degree plans should include what previously earned credits will be accepted towards your desired degree program. A sample degree plan is included in this package as Addendum I. Prior to commissioning, each selectee will be required to complete a total of eight Naval Science courses. Six of which will be taken at the Naval Science Institute (NSI) and the last two of which must be taken at the university. Additionally, two semesters of calculus and two semesters of calculus-based physics are required by all selectees (except Nurse Corps Option). Ensure two Naval Science courses, calculus, and calculus-based physics courses are included in your degree plan. You are required to carry a full academic load at all times unless otherwise authorized by the Professor of Naval Science (PNS). A full academic load is considered to be a minimum of 15 semester hours, or the quarter system equivalent, during regular sessions, and 6 semester hours, or the quarter system equivalent, during summer sessions."

Surfer727

From my experience so far at A&M; we're required to maintain 15 hrs Spring/Fall and 6 over the summer. verbatim with the instruction. However, in practice they've been pretty leanient give or take an hour or two. Our LT treats each semester on a case by case basis. The situation may arise that you're struggling to maintain the grade in a class, and may later choose to drop it to protect your GPA.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
concur, 15 and 6. There are certain situations that are waived down to 12 and 3 by our skipper, but those are few are far between.