• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 Board Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

STA21pilot

"What is a recent professional leadership role you taken?"

"If you were CNO what is one thing you would change in the Navy?"

"If you were the new AUXO on a ship with some rowdy Engineers, who just ran their old Divo off the ship, how are you gonna go in and handle the situation?"

Command Review Board

STA21Pilot

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I'm trying to think of a couple from last year.

One of em on the review board was why do I want to be a pilot? (pretty obvious)

The follow up question was if God shines on me and I am selected for core and go SWO (mind you the review board was on the USS Lake Champlain in front of their CO, WEPS, CSO and CHENG) what would be the worst assignment in my mind?

(interview board)Another was somthing like this. You show up to quarters on Monday morning and your Chief looks at you and says "great another butter bar to train up" "well, that's it for quarters, dismissed" How do you deal w/ the Chief?

(interview board)Also had one to the effect of a female sailor walks into your state room and says that she was sexualy harrased. What do you do?

Those are the ones I can remember. I think the best thing for me on boards is to remember that silence isn't a bad thing. If it takes you a minute to come up with an answer and speak it clearly that's better than quickly fumbling through one. Tact is a good thing too. Don't tell a bunch of SWO's that you want to be a pilot because you think being a SWO would suck, I don't think that but I'm sure there are some around that do. Simply say that you are only given one option other than core and that being a Pilot is a goal that you've had for some time.

STA21pilot

I went to the CO's board recently, but she didn't really ask me any specific questions. Just asked me if there was anything I wanted to say about myself. She did ask me what was the feedback from the first board, and the feedback from last year, but that was about it. She said that after all the interviews were done, she would revisit everyone's package and endorse everyone based on their packages, public knowledge is what she said. Hope it works out for me.

Good luck to everyone else.

Hasn't anyone else had any interviews?

STA21Pilot

STA21pilot

I got to use this one... It's hilarious.

A friend of mine just got finished with his Nomination Board ( I won't say with which command) and he said it was horrific. Aside from being asked all the General Orders of a Sentry, they asked him his entire Chain of Command, and some situational questions. I'm glad they didn't ask me all that stuff I would have been in it deep. Anyways. One of the situational questions was that the CO of the base asked him:

"If I was a young girl, an E-3, and I came up to you and said I was a lesbian and wanted to get out of the Navy, what would you say?"

So mind you my friend tries to answer the question and scan the room and he's talking... but the other officers said "Don't look at me, he's the girl not me"

I can't help it, that is freakin hilarious. I know their in some back room laughing their ass's off at us...

Bastards...

SAR522

I feel bad for your friend. What was the outcome? My board asked a lot of situational question as well. Mainly just the basic "what would you do if you're the DIVO" type questions. Also what if you don't get selected, what next? I replied that persistence is the key and nothing worth accomplishing comes easy, so I'll be strengthening my package and applying again next year.
Also I was asked, pilot or officer, which comes first? Remember first your are a military officer, then a pilot.
The board said they really appreciated my sincerity. I told them what I liked about the navy, and then what I would like to see change. Honesty is important. The purpose of the interview is to reveal the candidates true personality and integrity. The board doesn't want to hear the BS party lines like "Honor, Courage, and Commitment". They already know the core values; they want to get to know the candidate on a personal level. This was just my personal experience from my board. Every interviewer may be different. Just be yourself and speak your mind, but be respectful. Don't just give them the answers you think they want to hear. There are no right or wrong answers. Just be straightforward and confident. Confidence is the key.

Ooooh!

I had only one situational question from my CO and it was this:

You receive orders to maneuver your vessel into a waterway to allow a SEAL deployment. You are aware the enemy has been active in this area and Allied forces have taken many casualties. The waterway is also known for its shifting sandbars and dangerous navigation. You are aware of the possibilies to run hard aground and for enemy attack to both crew and vessel. What do you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.