• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Square Away an Army Aviator

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
ghost said:
Port Delta was pretty much standard on my last CV deployment (even though there is no definition in CV NATOPS). Even the Helicopter Ops checklist in tower said "Helicopter .... Port Delta" in it. .....

Port Delta for Helo's .... right ??? Or jets, too ???

LTX

Stearmann4 said:
. I'll take cutomers to the "X" downtown any day rather than hit an LPD (2-spot) on a crappy night.

Ha ha, from a small deck helo guy, I'll take that LPD over just about any night at a small boy!

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the links, now here is a question, since this Jship pub is a J pub does it supercede all other pubs mentioned? the JCAS manual superceded all Marine Corps CAS doctrinal pubs.

Chubby

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it seems as though by the way y'all talk, that helo bubba's are almost second class citizens when it comes to air ops around the Boat. Sequestered to a life of starboard, or port in this case, delta. I'm not trying to stir up trouble, I'm just genuinely curious as to what the dynamic is between the rotary bubba's and the fixed wing dudes when it comes to blue water CVN ops. Pardon the naive question and thanks.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Where flight ops are concerned, helos are supposed to be seen and not heard. Seriously. It is indeed a bit of a second class citizen life. Which is why det life on single spot ships is more appealing. But the down side to that is you have skulls who have no concept of aviation operations. So it's the fire and ice debate.

Living on a CV is awesome - food 24/7, decent laundry facilities, all the fresh hot water you want - and a boat that is all about aviation.

So you put up with the ribbing about not being a "real aviator" but time comes when you see the white and orange plumes of a 'chute and the Boss screaming "angel!" and you ever so cooly key your mic and say "inbound" - kind of makes it ok, lol

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
Which is why det life on single spot ships is more appealing. But the down side to that is you have skulls who have no concept of aviation operations. So it's the fire and ice debate.
It must just be PFM on the small boys.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Damn, Skid, you are a stickler...

I think legally, you may have a point, since it's a JPub. But in reality, it's doing nothing more than reprinting the other Naval pubs. So I guess it's a chicken or the egg thing. I swear for a while there, Opnav was getting updated every other month, so did the J Pub get updated? I don't think so. Do people then fly w/ an outdated pub? Technically, yeah, probably. But the carrier or LHA airspace hasn't really been changed in a long time, or the FFG-12 (I think it is) hasn't been centerline approach capabable since it was built, and both are depicted so in the JSHIP, so I guess you're "safe."

As for real world ops, well, use the JSHIP for what it is: gouge. You know CV/LHA Natops (or most of it) already, but it's nice to have a crib sheet. Just like I'm sure you can tell me stats off your shot cards, but I'm sure you still reference them. JSHIP is a pub, so it can be in the Navbag w/ everything else, but everyone seems to use it as gouge.

I know I'm telling you stuff you already know, but trying to answer your question...rhetorical or otherwise.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mostly rhetorical and a bit of frustration at all the pubs Im responsible for knowing. Yeah Im abit anal on doctrine kind fo stuff but that is how I grew up in the Fleet.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
ChuckMK23 said:
Port Dlta? Who ever does that?

Isn't that the same thing as "Eyes Left" - It's in the drill manual, but no one ever does it! :)
Actually it's listed in the Navy uniform manual right after "Service Dress Blue Yankee."