• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Spouse's Job

BRM21o

My girlfriend will be getting her MS degree in aerospace engineering and most likely get her masters while i'm doing flight school. Does anyone have any information about SPAWAR, NAVAIR, etc where civilian engineers can work and would that be a good place to look for jobs? Thanks!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Try www.spawar.navy.mil the HR section has lots of info.

Mind you these aren't regular civilian jobs, they're GS and usually require a clearance.

I worked there for PMW-159 for a few years.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
A friend of mine's wife has worked for a couple of different govt contractors while he's gone through flight school and now in the RAG. She worked at Crestview for a company doing H-60 work while he was at Whiting. Don't know any specifics, but its certainly possible, aside from NAVAIR only.

Circle K

pilot
Greg, are these jobs pure engineering, or are they open to a variety of fields? My wife and I will be heading that way within a few months.

eliz33

I need help on this subject!
I am a mechanical engineering student, paying well over 60,000 of my own money (loans) for a great degree from a GREAT school. My boyfriend will be entering flight school just before i graduate. I'll need to have a career to pay my loans, so I am worried that this means i will have to stay in atlanta, and will not have the freedom of changing locations as he changes bases.
I love him more than anything. I support his dreams, we are best friends, we look forward to a family, and many happy years. I am terrified that the separation could tear it all apart. Has anyone delt with this? any suggestions? :(

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I need help on this subject!
I am a mechanical engineering student, paying well over 60,000 of my own money (loans) for a great degree from a GREAT school. My boyfriend will be entering flight school just before i graduate. I'll need to have a career to pay my loans, so I am worried that this means i will have to stay in atlanta, and will not have the freedom of changing locations as he changes bases.
I love him more than anything. I support his dreams, we are best friends, we look forward to a family, and many happy years. I am terrified that the separation could tear it all apart. Has anyone delt with this? any suggestions? :(

Georgia Tech, I take it?

I imagine that Mech E is general enough and applicable in enough areas that I doubt you will have too hard of a time finding a job. However, the issue of not changing jobs/locations as frequently as your SO is definately an issue. My gf/fiancee (now wife) and I were geographically separated for 3 years because of flight school and it worked out fine for us.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While I was in flight school.....and then SWOS.....and then my first deployment, my gf (now wife of 5 yrs) and I were separated while she got her masters degree. It's a royal pain in the ass, but worth it in the long run.

eliz33

yup georgia tech.
i have a great coop job, so i'll have real experience when i graduate which seems to be a requirement for these positions.
after training is over, how stationany are you? how often do you need to move from base to base (or get deployed)? as a marine officer he should be active for at least 10 years. it would be nice if during that time we could be together.

pdx

HSM Pilot
yup georgia tech.
i have a great coop job, so i'll have real experience when i graduate which seems to be a requirement for these positions.
after training is over, how stationany are you? how often do you need to move from base to base (or get deployed)? as a marine officer he should be active for at least 10 years. it would be nice if during that time we could be together.

I can't speak for fleet life, but flight school doesn't have to involve a lot of moving. On the helo track, it is possible to go from API to Wings without moving. The married guys usually get this deal if they want it, but so do many single guys (like me).

Unfortunately, Pensacola is not exactly an engineering center. With a degree as versatile as ME, however, I'm sure you could find something in the area. It all depends on what you are willing to take and how far you are willing to go. Real engineering cities like Atlanta and Huntsville are about 6 hours. New Orleans is about 3. Tampa and Orlando are both about 7.

Once he has his wings, most communities have some presence in San Diego, Norfolk, or some large city with good opportunities for an engineer. Most people move every 3 years or so, but a lot depends on what career choices he makes and what opportunities he has.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I can't speak for fleet life, but flight school doesn't have to involve a lot of moving. On the helo track, it is possible to go from API to Wings without moving. The married guys usually get this deal if they want it, but so do many single guys (like me).

I agree with you, pdx, but there are a lot of if's involved. If you don't go to Corpus/Vance, if you select helos.... Especially since they aren't married it would make it difficult to make any plans based on that.