• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Spouse in med school

Status
Not open for further replies.

badfish247

I was just hoping someone has some experience with their spouse being in graduate school, specifically med school, while beginning a career in naval aviation. How tough is it on the relationship? Can it be worked out?

Fred

n my husbands last squadron he had a Hornet pilot whose wife was attending EVMS in Norfolk. She started when he started the RAG. It seemed to work well for them. I know another couple who is getting ready to do the same thing. She is going to be going to Med school, he is in his dept head tour in a Hornet squadron, and they have two kids. Both of these guys are in Oceana squadrons.

Good luck!

Babette7

When my husband and I were in our first fleet tour overseas(he had just finished the RAG), we had a couple in our command where he was a nugget and she was in law school stateside. It was hard, but he was gone a lot, so it didn't make a huge difference (her overseas and alone, or stateside and alone). After 18 months or so, she joined him and began her law career. They now have two kids and are happily married. Another couple (same command) she was a Psychiatrist and stayed stateside until a job became available. My closest friends, also Superhornet transfers, had a similar situation to yours. He was in a third tour, she went to grad school in a different location. He was a geo bachelor for two and half years, until she finished and joined him. They visited on the weekends, and just had their first baby. It truthfully worked out well...she could study, he could dedicate the extra time needed to his command at the time. It worked out, and it can be done.

My honest opinion is that it can be done with communication and commitment. But, if your spouse/girlfriend/SO needs this, then my hat is off to her for making it happen.

Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.