• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Specific body parts prone to injury....

HIPCHIP

I see there is a list of acceptable ankle braces on the USMC-OCS website but would bringing two of them be asking for some unwanted attention on my part? I could use them, if not need them(for now), but could certainly leave them behind if doing so would prevent me from being "that guy"?

The problem with using ankle braces is that the ankles will get weaker because the braces are being used in place of the muscles, etc, which allows the musculature to get weaker.

If you have ankle problems, you need to do an ankle strengthening program to bring the strength back up. Walk around on your tip toes, walk around on your ankles. Get a light bicycle tire tube and put it under something heave and loop the end on your foot and stretch it to get some resistance. Move your foot up, down, in, and out. Three sets of 10. Do an on-line search for other exercises.

Only use ankle braces if you have a weakness or injury, and only for a short period until your strengthening program is complete.

HIPCHIP

Besides shin splints, are there any body parts that people have noticed are prone to injury or pain at OCS? Anything that would make you say, "Damn, I wish I had worked harder on training my _______ before OCS" I am at the end of sophomore year (of college) right now, so I have until the end of senior year to make any significant improvements. And yes, I did use the search function before posting. *Well I forgot to read the thread "Knees!"....... so anything besides knees too?

A majority of injuries occur during the first few weeks of a training program because the musculature is not used to the forces put on them. That being said, you need to do a good, all around, strengthening and stretching program prior to starting. This will help to keep from getting these injuries. Shin splints are normally caused by weak lower leg musculature, so giving them time to get strong is essential.

Also, make sure your shoes are proper for your feet. Go to a good running shoe store that can evaluate you and put you in a good set of shoes. You may need to get some orthotic inserts if there are more than minor problems. Proper biomechanics start at the feet and work their way up, so if your shoes are not proper, then you can have problems in the ankles, knees, hips, etc.

Last I knew, the medics at OCS have received training in Athletic Training (sports medicine), so you should have someone there who can do an evaluation on injuries, treat them properly, and make suggestions on taping, bracing, and rehab.