• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Special Purpose Rifle - Fixed or Collapsable stock?

utak

Hey guys,

Think about maybe investing $ towards a 5.56mm SPR in the near future. The upper is already cut and dry. The lower is a totally other story. I basically have two options.

1) Keep my existing LWRC lower, install a 2 stage trigger, and get a VLTOR EMOD stock and just swap things out. But it will be a collapsable stock, but the VLTOR EMOD is more flexible and offers a much better cheekweld. And while swapping lowers and stock is simple, it could get old for a while. But this option focuses on modular flexibility of having just one lower.

Money factors: Geisselle SSA trigger ($170), VLTOR EMOD stock ($95 used from Northwest Tactical)

2) Get a totally new lower, either one with or install a 2 stage trigger, and this one with a fixed stock to make it "old school". It will be more money, but not only will there be no hassle, the long gun will make a nice contrast to the short gun. No need to swap out uppers/stocks.

Money factors: Geisselle SSA trigger ($170 or double if I give into the temptation to get one for each lower), LMT lower with fixed A2 stock ($315)

Other factors to consider: the cost of the upper, the bipod, the scope, and of course finding 5.56mm 77gr match ammo.

caveats: I'm interested in getting a new car once I get winged (around August) and head to the RAG. So money will be an issue.

Pros/Cons of each one? And thanks for your assistance.

Renegade One

None
Frak me...pros and cons of about a bazillion different options in every possible combination. Buy a car, and when you can, buy a classic M1 Garand rifle from CMP and learn how to shoot the damned thing at 600 yards minimum. Then get a good 1911 in .45 ACP. The whole idea is to shoot several types of classic guns at a reasonable price...not build "the most perfect black rifle ever imagined on planet earth...at any price". It's still just one gun...
But wait...I am on my second martini of the evening...so maybe...I'm the one that's fuc....???

FlyinRock

Frak me...pros and cons of about a bazillion different options in every possible combination. Buy a car, and when you can, buy a classic M1 Garand rifle from CMP and learn how to shoot the damned thing at 600 yards minimum. Then get a good 1911 in .45 ACP. The whole idea is to shoot several types of classic guns at a reasonable price...not build "the most perfect black rifle ever imagined on planet earth...at any price". It's still just one gun...
But wait...I am on my second martini of the evening...so maybe...I'm the one that's fuc....???
Renegade One
You are the man!
For the OP, before you spend a lot of money on the latest greatest, what is your intent with the gun? Then decide if it will do the job as stock. If you are going to get into competition, you need to see what the parameters are for equipment. If you are buying to feel good, and have the coolest gun in the neighborhood, knock your self out. Keep in mind what you spend for enhancements may not be valuable when you try to sell it to finance and buy the latest greatest flavor of the day.
I'm certainly not knocking your enthusiasm and can recall way back in the day when I did the same things. Have been through literally hundreds of guns over the years. The ones I most fondly remember were the tack driver competition guns that did double duty for combat.
Renegade One you made me reach into the dark recesses of my memory when I placed 2nd in the CA state match at 1000 yards with open sights shooting an M1 and match ammo. USMC team Camp Matthews, CA 1959. Years later, after expending a lot of ammo in 1911's, I finally went distinguished pistol and that has, and always will be one of my proudest moments in life. Just a step below my young son being born three years ago.
Semper Fi
Rocky

Bevo16

pilot
Nick,

Why are you looking to build a long gun that shoots 5.56 when you already have a carbine? JMHO, but I want a round heavier than 55-75 gr for anything over 200 yards. Might I suggest something along these lines:

mcmiltop.gif

If you want to accessorize and make the rifle your own, you can see there there are plenty of options.

Don't forget, different job require different tools. 5.56 is not a one size fits all round.

610x.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Pros/Cons of each one? And thanks for your assistance.
No suggestions as to your option$ or equipping your "perfect" rifle, everybody's got 'their thing' w/ $uper-modifying AR$ .... other than to say: if you wanna' do it -- and if it makes you happy -- just DO IT.

Don't let the ol' cranks rain on your parade
... even though I am one :)D) .... a 'crank, not a parade.