• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Spatial App

Status
Not open for further replies.

BONE77

Does anyone have a good way to study for the spatial apperception test on the ASTB? I had the ARCO down to where I don't miss any, but the actual test was harder. It had no clouds to reference attitude, and the ground and water looked almost the same. Any help would be great. Thanx a million people!
BONE

ryguy

Bone77 - I was taught a little trick that really helped me but is kind of hard to explain via message board. As you know each spatial app problem is in a square box. Take your pencil and use it to figure out where the middle of the side of the square is and where the middle of the base of the square is and draw a T in the box. Then you can figure out the problem. Obviously horizon above the latitude line will be descending, below will be ascending, more horizon to the left of the longitude line is banking left etc. Basically once you know where the middle of the box is both latitude and longitude wise it makes it a lot easier to determine what the plane is doing. I am not explaining it very well but it really helped me. I missed 1 spatial app question on the ASTB. Hope this helps.

Schwabenprinz

What helped me was to say it out loud. "banking hard left, steep dive", "banking right, shallow dive" and then I would find the picture that matched my description. I just used the ARCO book also and I only missed one question.

rhollin1

The way I made it easier was to look at it like this. Which ever side the "bottom" of the plane is turned is the correct direction. So if the bottom is turned right, then the plane is banking right.

Pain...is weakness leaving the body

quinterjp

If anyone has the Marine Corps ASTB study guide could they email it to me at combatquinter@hotmail.com. I can't get it anywhere and have tried all of the links off this page. Thanks

rhollin1

go to my website listed below. you will find a link to the study guide. good luck with the exam.

http://www.geocities.com/ronhollin/

quinterjp

Ron,
I tried your website and the download link keeps telling me that the site can't be accessed. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I hope to do well the test!!! J

BONE77

ryguy,
thanx bro I tried it and it works, saying it out helps also. The WRONG way is to use the clouds as reference in the ARCO book. There are no clouds on the actual test, that really messed me up. Also, this may or may not make a difference to you, but the arco depicst the attitudes of a WWII hellcat/corsair fighter, the plane that is depicted on the actual test is the Navy's current T-34 Mentor, complete with markings and paint. Like I said, no clouds, no silly ship on the water, just ground, water and sky. The attitudes of the T-34 are WAY more crazy than the basic 8 in the ARCO. Anybody got any more ideas please share them, but just remember that the spatial is a lot different than ARCO's version. DON'T USE THE CLOUDS!!!!!!!

psrogers

Intel Officer
Always check alignment of plane with coast line first- that eliminates half the options. Then check if climbing or diving, then banking. Usually something obvious pops up that makes the right one stand out.

Actually, I just wanted to get my hundredth post. [8:]

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This gouge <http://www.geocities.com/ronhollin/ASTB.doc> runs parallel to the test, so for all you future ASTB test takers, STUDY this and understand how you come up with the answer and you will pass the test.....Good luck.[^]
ea6bflyr

Originally posted by rhollin1
go to my website listed below. you will find a link to the study guide. good luck with the exam.

http://www.geocities.com/ronhollin/

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
EA6BFLYR, do you have your aviation hopefulls at the NROTC practice on that test?

BONE77

Thanx anyway Prowler Flyer, but that "Marine Study Guide" does not include the spatial part of the test. The only place you can study for that part of the test is in the ARCO book, but that is very inaccurate. I got great sudy materials for the Math/Verbal, Mech comp, and Aviation/Nautical parts for the link you mentioned, but I still am looking for the spatial study helper. I learned a lot from the OCS application process, and what I found out is that the Navy looks at the ASTB portion more than anything. Whole person concept? Yeah right. Case in point, the guy that had a 2.9 in journalism that got SNA. Why? He had a killer test score. According to his post, he didn't even pass the PFT.

renob

just retook test on wed. form 1. second time was a cakewalk, study questions 31,34,11 on the last MVT in arco, and the marine study guide, that was a tremendous help.

Status
Not open for further replies.