• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sorely Lacking in Education

wannaflywindy

Hopeful Pilot
Hey there! I want to be a pilot in the Marines, and to so that I need to be an officer, so I'm looking at colleges right now, hopefully one with a NROTC program. the problem? I had a horrible high school education, meaning that I only have one year of a foreign language under my belt, as well as algebra 2 being my highest level of math. My grades weren't that good either. So I was wondering if going to a community college first is a smart idea at all. This is something I really want to do, so any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated :) thanks so much! ~Windy

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Hey there! I want to be a pilot in the Marines, and to so that I need to be an officer, so I'm looking at colleges right now, hopefully one with a NROTC program. the problem? I had a horrible high school education, meaning that I only have one year of a foreign language under my belt, as well as algebra 2 being my highest level of math. My grades weren't that good either. So I was wondering if going to a community college first is a smart idea at all. This is something I really want to do, so any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated :) thanks so much! ~Windy

Honestly, a year at a community college would be your best bet. I don't know where you are in LA, but when I was in high school out there Valley College and Pierce College both had great pre-college transition programs. If you are weak in math, I would suggest taking a college-level algebra or pre-calculus course. The ASTB (the test you need to pass in order to qualify for a flight spot) has quite a bit of algebra, geometry, and even some trigonometry on it, so I'd suggest making sure those skills are good to go. Community college will also help you knock some of your general education classes out of the way which will lighten your load when you transfer to a senior college.

Best of luck.

m26

Contributor
You don't need to limit yourself to schools with NROTC units. There's always PLC.

wannaflywindy

Hopeful Pilot
PLC looks really good, but...how does it work exactly? And I know Im not guaranteed a pilot slot, but is there any way to make it so thats what Id be signing up for?

mountainman

College is what you make of it. I cobbled together a degree from several institutions ranging from a community college to one of those high dollar waspy places. The quality of education was hit or miss depending on the class and teacher regardless of how much I was paying or how hard it was to get into the program. I wouldn't be put off by any stigma that might be attached to attending a community college. If you lack the basics then it's probably not a bad place to start.
If I had to do it all over again, one thing that I wish I'd known when selecting a university is this: pay close attention to what each university's and college's core curriculum requirements are. Some places require you to take all manner of bullshit regardless of your major. Other places allow you to concentrate solely in your field of study. You don't want to find yourself paying $1000 per credit hour and being forced to take women's studies or medieval literature to satisfy some core curriculum requirement.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
PLC looks really good, but...how does it work exactly? And I know Im not guaranteed a pilot slot, but is there any way to make it so thats what Id be signing up for?

PLC-Air guarantees you a pilot slot at flight school after TBS.... Get in touch with your local Officer Selection Officer and he can fill you in on the details.