• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Soon to be in SELRES, good gouge?

Zego

First Lieutenant
Ladies and Gents,

I'm a LTJG in Yokosuka, Japan and am being separated from Active Duty at the end of May. I'm going in to the SELRES as a 1105. I was wondering if anyone had any good gouge or at least a point in the right direction about looking for billets, getting IAs and life in the SELRES. I'm looking to get an IA to Afghanistan and try to get an Interservice Transfer to the Marine Corps or the Army. Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Renegade One

None
Ladies and Gents...Cheers
Zego: I've got no info for you, but thanks for your service so far, and THANKS for your obvious passion to stay at the plate and "keep swinging" in whatever capacity you can.

"Where do we get such men?" ~RAdm George Tarrant

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Ladies and Gents,

I'm a LTJG in Yokosuka, Japan and am being separated from Active Duty at the end of May. I'm going in to the SELRES as a 1105. I was wondering if anyone had any good gouge or at least a point in the right direction about looking for billets, getting IAs and life in the SELRES. I'm looking to get an IA to Afghanistan and try to get an Interservice Transfer to the Marine Corps or the Army. Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Are you working with the CTO? They can offer direction for units that could use you or give you gouge on units near where you want to go. Not sure about JO apply (looking for billets) for you, and things can very depending on if you have a service obligation or will be in a training status. I'd call the CTO regardless at the puzzle palace in millington, they should be able to help.

Zego

First Lieutenant
Zego: I've got no info for you, but thanks for your service so far, and THANKS for your obvious passion to stay at the plate and "keep swinging" in whatever capacity you can.

"Where do we get such men?" ~RAdm George Tarrant

Cheers.

Are you working with the CTO? They can offer direction for units that could use you or give you gouge on units near where you want to go. Not sure about JO apply (looking for billets) for you, and things can very depending on if you have a service obligation or will be in a training status. I'd call the CTO regardless at the puzzle palace in millington, they should be able to help.

Thanks for the info.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Ladies and Gents,

Cheers

Check out 4th ANGLICO unit out of the West Palm Beach, FL Naval Operational Support Center (NOSC). (561) 687-3954. Start there (ie, call, network) and find out about other ANGLICO units where you are going to settle. If I recall they are 1115 coded billets, however, it can never hurt to ask. You will have the opportunity to deploy as a JTAC. PM me your @navy.mil and I'll send you the contact info of the CO of NR 4TH ANGLICO..

There are two Reserve SEAL units that you can also try to affiliate with, however, you will do more real work in an ANGLICO unit. Officers in Reserve units support NSW are there to support the Enlisted cadre.

Zego

First Lieutenant
Check out 4th ANGLICO unit out of the West Palm Beach, FL Naval Operational Support Center (NOSC). (561) 687-3954. Start there (ie, call, network) and find out about other ANGLICO units where you are going to settle. If I recall they are 1115 coded billets, however, it can never hurt to ask. You will have the opportunity to deploy as a JTAC. PM me your @navy.mil and I'll send you the contact info of the CO of NR 4TH ANGLICO..

There are two Reserve SEAL units that you can also try to affiliate with, however, you will do more real work in an ANGLICO unit. Officers in Reserve units support NSW are there to support the Enlisted cadre.

Thanks for the info, bubblehead, PM sent.

As far as general advice goes, I think you're doing the right thing by trying to stick with it--I think you'll find a lot of people get out and want nothing to do with the military for a bit, then they get a few bad years under their belts. Plus, these days making O-4 isn't automatic, so as an LT you can't make it to 20.
-I'm not sure where you're relocating. I wanted a "go to war" unit as well, and looked at the Long Beach ANGLICO unit (3rd, I believe) and the Force Recon unit out of Alameda. The Recon unit had no interest in a gunfire liaison officer (they were billeted for one in as an LDO, and it had been unfilled for years). The ANGLICO was an 1115 billet, but it's actually a Navy unit (USNR CO) within the ANGLICO unit, so you might have better luck getting waived (disclaimer: I'm certainly no expert on ANGLICO having just made a few phone calls and internet research into the matter).
-Naval Special Warfare will often fill staff positions with SWOs or other URLs. You're not really pointy end of the spear, but they'll treat you right, and there's great esprit de corps. I think I have contact info for ST17 in Coronado. PM me if interested.
-Other than that, it sounds like maybe it's not great that you're leaving the active side, but I have been AMAZED at the opportunities on the reserve side...particularly for somebody who still has the "fire in his belly". I'm sure you'll do fine.

Zego

First Lieutenant
As far as general advice goes, I think you're doing the right thing by trying to stick with it--I think you'll find a lot of people get out and want nothing to do with the military for a bit, then they get a few bad years under their belts. Plus, these days making O-4 isn't automatic, so as an LT you can't make it to 20.
-I'm not sure where you're relocating. I wanted a "go to war" unit as well, and looked at the Long Beach ANGLICO unit (3rd, I believe) and the Force Recon unit out of Alameda. The Recon unit had no interest in a gunfire liaison officer (they were billeted for one in as an LDO, and it had been unfilled for years). The ANGLICO was an 1115 billet, but it's actually a Navy unit (USNR CO) within the ANGLICO unit, so you might have better luck getting waived (disclaimer: I'm certainly no expert on ANGLICO having just made a few phone calls and internet research into the matter).
-Naval Special Warfare will often fill staff positions with SWOs or other URLs. You're not really pointy end of the spear, but they'll treat you right, and there's great esprit de corps. I think I have contact info for ST17 in Coronado. PM me if interested.
-Other than that, it sounds like maybe it's not great that you're leaving the active side, but I have been AMAZED at the opportunities on the reserve side...particularly for somebody who still has the "fire in his belly". I'm sure you'll do fine.

Thanks for the info, PM sent.

ProwlerPilot

pilot
Zego,

The first place to go is the delivery system that sends out e-mails on all of the mobilization opportunities. The link is here:
https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USNRFC/subscribers/new

Register your e-mail and then you will start recieving e-mails with all of the reserve ADT, ADSW, and Mobilization (IA) opportunities. The next place to go for good info is the N35 reserve website. You have to go through the navyreserve.navy.mil website with your CAC card. I can walk you through it if you want to PM me. This will have all of the information on how to volunteer, what info is required, and more details on some of the billets available now. Hit me up with your e-mail and I can give you some more info.

Best of luck to you. As others have said here, there are a ton of opportunities in the reserves, especially if you want to go get sandy and live in tents.

- Double D

Zego

First Lieutenant
Zego,

The first place to go is the delivery system that sends out e-mails on all of the mobilization opportunities. The link is here:

Register your e-mail and then you will start recieving e-mails with all of the reserve ADT, ADSW, and Mobilization (IA) opportunities. The next place to go for good info is the N35 reserve website. You have to go through the navyreserve.navy.mil website with your CAC card. I can walk you through it if you want to PM me. This will have all of the information on how to volunteer, what info is required, and more details on some of the billets available now. Hit me up with your e-mail and I can give you some more info.

Best of luck to you. As others have said here, there are a ton of opportunities in the reserves, especially if you want to go get sandy and live in tents.

- Double D

Much obliged, PM sent.

Zego,

- Double D

BTW, thanks for this! I can't get on the navyreserve website, so I can't the details on all the postings, but it's already really interesting seeing what's out there! It had me thinking of taking a six month "vacation" to Pearl yesterday, and being John Rambo in Afghanistan today!

rotorhead1871

UH-1N.....NAS Agana, Guam....circa 1975
pilot
Ladies and Gents,

Cheers
it boils down to what you want to do, you will get a nice reserve pay billet, or I would think so, if you affiliate. What is your civilian calling?? can you balance civilian job and reserve duty?

good luck and good hunting, you have a good attitude and that will take you a long way..