• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Someone Tell me if I have a Prayer in Hell

SHAWAM

Ok, here's my situation: I'm desperately trying to get into the BDCP but I'm not confident in how realisic that is. I'm a senior with a Graphic Design/English double major, a former Marine, and I'm 25 (26 this September 11th), 5'10.5, 199-201 lbs (it fluctuates from week to week). I currently have a 3.4 GPA,I failed the ASTB my first time around, and am biting my fingers waiting for my second scores to come in. My recommendations seem good (2 from professors, and 1 from a current Navy Ensign).
I'm trying to get into the supply program, so I've heard my chances are much easier than those trying for aviation or intel, but here's the catch: I've been living off my G.I. Bill for the past 3 years (school, car payment, EVERYTHING). As of this posting, my LAST check is on its way. I'm losing my mind because unless I get into the BDCP, I'm skrewed (I'm talking virtually homeless in a matter of months). To make matters worse, I have bad credit, to the tune of $18,000 and the creditors are calling like crazy, just months away from litigation (or so they say). On top of all that, I'm pretty positive I wouldn't pass the PRT. I know I'm a former Marine, but 4 years of inactivity put me right back at square one. I can crank out 50 crunches, and maybe 30 pushups in 2 minutes, but as for the run...I wouldn't even pass the minimum there.

I've seen various things posted: "You don't need to pass the PRT", "Yes you definitely do.", "I never took a PRT while in the BDCP", "Your test scores and GPA are what really matter", etc. What are my chances? I know that I could pass the PRT in about 2 months, but I don't have that long...my money is practically aready gone and I don't know how my credit is going to affect this all. Any info is greatly appreciated.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I personally do not think you have much of a chance and you probably won't like the rest of my answer either.

While I commend your prior service and your respectable GPA, I do not think you have demonstrated many "officer" qualities. It also seems like you want BDCP not so much as a gateway to a career or to serve your country, but as a means of bailing yourself out of you present situation.

Among the many qualities of a good Navy officer, he has to be organized, plan ahead, multitask and be responsible. If you have creditors knocking at your door and are about to be homeless, it is obvious you have not met any of these qualities.

How can you expect to counsel your enlisted troops on fiscal responsibility if you have none yourself? Better yet, how can you expect the Navy to let you manage millions of dollars of assets when you can't manage your own?

I'll be the first to admit I'm a lazy fat-ass and no longer meet weight standards, but when I was on active duty I made sure I stayed well within limits and had respectable PRT scores. Why? Because I was the leader and had to set an example. How can you expect the Navy to assume you will meet/maintain standards after you are commissioned when you don't meet them when you are applying for the program? I spent over a year prior to applying for AOCS losing weight and getting in shape. It was not an after thought, but part of the preparation I made towards ensuring I had a good application and demonstrated officer qualities to my recruiter.

If you really want to be a Navy officer, get your act together. Get a job, pay off your creditors, get in shape and show some motivation other than just wanting the Navy to bail you out of a jam.

My guess, you've never had to be responsible before. You probably joined the Marines out of high school. While the pay wasn't going to get you rich, it was guaranteed. There was also the barracks and chow hall if you overspent so you weren't going to starve or go broke. Then after you got out and started college, you had that monthly check from the GI Bill. While you earned it through your service, it was never meant to be the sole means of support. What the hell, why work when you get a monthly check from Uncle Sam and you have credit cards?

Welcome to the real world. You should have joined it a long time ago. You need to prove that you can handle the real world responsibly before you ever receive a commission.

My advise - get a job. Take longer to graduate while you learn how to be responsible. This advise is good regardless if you want to apply for a commissioning program or start a civilian career.

Sorry if you find this too harsh, but there are so many that really want to serve. It is obvious from their posts, questions, and preparation. They are the ones that deserve the BDCP money, scholarships and commissions.

Lip

Rex Quan Do. . . Bow to your Sensai!
I'm pretty much with the Hal-Man on this one.

What did you do as a Marine?

Would you ever have wanted leadership who was there solely to cover their own ass?

Priorities, man. Priorities.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I'll take a different approach to this one.... you won't get BDCP for the sole fact that you're a senior. You need atleast a year left. The rest is up to you.

SHAWAM

I should probably clear some things up, HAL Pilot. 1) The debt I did accumulate was mostly due to paying for school. Yes I had a G.I. Bill, but college is much more expensive than it accounts for. 2) Ever since I got out of the Marines, I considered a commision. The only reason I started so late on the BDCP is because I'd never even heard of it until this January. Finally, 3) Advice is one thing, but assuming I was a sorry ass who joined the military as an easy out is far more of an insult than you have the right to make, given that you know only what information I've provided. I turned down many scholarships back in 98 to join because I thought it was honorable. Having a brother who was in the Navy at the time, I knew fully well that money wasn't an incentive. I was a cryptologist for the Marines, handled and managed millions of dollars worth of equipment; my SRB has the proof. I appreciate your input, but I'll thank you not to jump the gun from your high-horse and insult my prior service the next time you feel so inclined.

Well I know I'm only 19 and I can't really give any in-depth advice on this subject (except for being broke part ) but, I was always told if there is a will than there is a way. I don't think the debt problem shouldn't be a big issue (once again some one might shed some light on that...thats just an assumption) there are probably some people out of ERAU and my college in the Navy that have more debt than you. Just get the PRT score up, keep that GPA where it is or better, and study the ASTB. One thing you have going for you would probably be the prior service, unless you have some bad marks on your record. Also just a thought, not trying to be anti-Navy here, but if your into getting a commission and/or trying to get out of your present situation, look into other services as well, they pay the same and most likely are easier to get into since the Navy is drawing back. Just keep the focus and don't let things get you down, a "can-do" attitude is something that I strive on. bUT that is just a 19 year old broke college student's point of view, anyways good luck on your venture.

port_tack

goosegagnon2 said:
Well I know I'm only 19 and I can't really give any in-depth advice on this subject (except for being broke part ) but, I was always told if there is a will than there is a way. I don't think the debt problem shouldn't be a big issue (once again some one might shed some light on that...thats just an assumption) there are probably some people out of ERAU and my college in the Navy that have more debt than you.

Debt problems make him a security risk. That would be enough to keep him from getting in.

Merely owing someone money isn't really a problem. Most people have student loans, car loans, etc. But being late making payments is a huge problem, and it will keep you from getting in.

Merely owing someone money isn't really a problem. Most people have student loans, car loans, etc. But being late making payments is a huge problem, and it will keep you from getting in.

ohhhh ok, check that..note taken. danke'

knigry01

OCC 193...SNFO
I hear you with the loan issues buddy (private school was expensive). What you may be able to do in this situation is to consolidate your debts into a single loan with a fixed interest rate. I did this with a company by the name of Nelnet. From what I've heard after doing this you may also be able to avoid beginning payments until after you graduate. Although I would suggest that you make the interest payments on your debt while still in school. This keeps the amount down that you will be compounding on as well as give evidence that your credit isn't as bad as it may otherwise appear. You should also be having a sitdown meeting with someone in your financial aid office to get this under control. Good luck with this,

fellow monthly bill hater

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
SHAWAM said:
I should probably clear some things up, HAL Pilot. 1) The debt I did accumulate was mostly due to paying for school. Yes I had a G.I. Bill, but college is much more expensive than it accounts for. 2) Ever since I got out of the Marines, I considered a commission. The only reason I started so late on the BDCP is because I'd never even heard of it until this January. Finally, 3) Advice is one thing, but assuming I was a sorry ass who joined the military as an easy out is far more of an insult than you have the right to make, given that you know only what information I've provided. I turned down many scholarships back in 98 to join because I thought it was honorable. Having a brother who was in the Navy at the time, I knew fully well that money wasn't an incentive. I was a cryptologist for the Marines, handled and managed millions of dollars worth of equipment; my SRB has the proof. I appreciate your input, but I'll thank you not to jump the gun from your high-horse and insult my prior service the next time you feel so inclined.
I'm not on a high horse (although you won't see it that way). I am just shooting straight and telling you the truth as I see it. Why would the Navy want an officer who can't manage his own affairs? Why would they trust him the manage the Navy's affairs and lead their Sailors?

There is a big difference between having debt and having bad credit while close to being homeless. Fiscal responsibility means limiting the amount of your debt to your ability to pay it back. Thinking you could live, pay your debts and finance your school solely off the GI Bill does not demonstrate fiscal responsibility. You may have operated and maintained millions of dollar worth of equipment, but you did not budget, spend and account for millions of dollars of cash like you could as a Navy supply officer. If you can't demonstrate fiscal responsibility in you personal life, why should the Navy expect you could for them?

Fiscal irresponsibility and bad credit also are also two of many security risk factors considered when applying for a security clearance (as another poster noted). If you can't qualify for a security clearance, you can't be an officer.

If you have been considering a commission since you left the Marines, than proper planning would be researching all the options as well as maintaining your physical condition. Again, one of the traits of a good officer is to plan ahead to ensure all the bases are covered.

I never said your joining the Marines was an easy out and I never belittled your prior service. In fact, I said commend it. However, it is much easier to be an junior enlisted man than a junior officer. As a junior enlisted you do not have anywhere the same responsibility as a junior officer nor does the service look to you for those traits. I know many who have excelled as junior to mid-grade enlisted that would make terrible officers.

Being a cryptologist and maintaining a 3.4 GPA shows you are intelligent. What I believe you lack is the maturity to go along with that intelligence. There are many people who put themselves through college without the help of the GI Bill and without developing bad credit or being homeless. If you are out of money, BDCP is not your only option. Getting a job is your best option and should be your first priority. This might mean taking less classes and delaying your graduation date, but it is the mature and responsible thing to do.

I built my impression from the content and tone of your first post. The content and tone of the second does little to change that impression. Since you are an English major, you should realize the importance of composition.

There are many on this site that are high school kids dreaming of being officers. The research and the preparation they are doing is impressive. You came across as wanting a handout. Wanting to bypass the physical requirements was the icing on the cake.

I think Lip said it well in his post. "Would you ever have wanted leadership who was there solely to cover their own ass? Priorities, man. Priorities"

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I don't think he wants to bypass the PRT, I think he just realizes he isn't ready yet and didn't know how big of a factor that is going to be. Whether you mean it or not shaw, it does come off as you want the navy to get you out of a hole. Perhaps you could consult a debt-management organization that could help you get that squared away. While you get that solved, if you really do desire a commission, you can keep working towards it. I wish you the best of luck!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your chances do not look good.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I were on the selection board for this, I would decline your application.

You've given enough big picture information of your situation where people can give you a fair assessment. The financial issues alone will make it very difficult for you to get a security clearance. Realize the board sees hundreds if not thousands of applications of folks without your issues; and who are in great physical shape ready to start training.

I don't think anyone here is attacking you. Just giving you some answers that maybe hard to swallow right now.

SHAWAM

Well, I asked for input and I got it, however hard or insulting some of it might've been. I just spoke to the Lt. in charge of my local BDCP and was informed that, though my scores on the ASTB may have been respectable, he wouldn't be able to send my packet in until late June anyway. I'd managed to save enough money to pay my rent for another 3 months, with the intentions of completeing both of my majors this year. I guess I'll take the advice I've been given and hold off on graduation for a while. That should also give me more than enough time to tackle that PRT and consolidate my student loans and whatnot.

Thanks for all your input.