• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

some info on the PLC and OCC of the marine corp

viciousrose

hello everyone
i am wondering if i can still sign up for the marines if i am currently getting my BSCJ i have a GED and only have gotten 4.50 credits and my GPA is 2.9 (i think), having a bit of trouble logging into the site) my college (CTU it is recognized by the military) is all online. I want to become a marine I would love to become an officer but the biggest thing is i would like to actually serve (get deployed and all that)while i am getting by bach and working to become an officer
while trying to get hold of the number to my new local rec. office (i moved from NC to OH) i went to the marine website applied for info and found out that i might be able to get started as an officer (assuming everything else goes well ASVAB,MED,ETC) as well as the whole OSO places
as far as that goes i do have an email from the ssgt which i can post if need be
what sort of questions do i need to ask, how do i find the OSO office itself, is it apart of the regular office?
the MOS areas i would like to go for is MARINE COMBAT DIVER/PARATROOPER, DOG HANDLER, maybe even an A-10 pilot
also if i joined the marines can i still be able to become a SEAL? i wonder about that since the navy is more or less above/apart of the marines (that is my first real goal of wanting to joining the military in the first place ever since i was old enough to understand what my family was talking about lol) i have not setup a meeting with them yet or even taken the pre-test ASVAB so i couldnt say anything on scores for that
if i forgot to post anything else on this i will when i know what it is

djj34

pilot
For starters, all the MOS you mentioned are unavailable as an officer. Those are all specialties inside of other MOS. That, and I wish we had A-10s. Right now you need to work on your delivery of written communication, because it will help others take you seriously. After that, I would recommend specifically hitting up dbdriven.net/mymos/All_MOS.asp (if you haven't yet) and do some browsing there to see what MOS we actually have available for officers and what they're about. At least you're on the right track trying to contact an OSO. Understand that if you're looking for an MOS on the ground that you will not be able to have it guaranteed - you will have to compete for it at TBS and there's a very real possibility you will not get the MOS you want and still be obligated to serve.

Getting into OCS is highly competitive right now so I would also focus on doing whatever you can to hike up that GPA, and start working on a solid PFT score as well.

viciousrose

i thought the marine corps had A-10s in their airfleet (for lack of better word)?
what in my fairly long intro says it isnt very serious how can i improve on what and how i type so i can be better understood?

also i tired to go to the site you gave and i got some kind of domain for sale thing is there a link you can provide?

djj34

pilot
Unfortunately, no A-10s! About the link, I apologize. Looks like you need to add a "www." in front of the link. It'll work then. What I mean is punctuation, proofreading and capitalization of proper nouns. It isn't my goal to be a Grammar Nazi, but there are few ways to represent yourself on here, and one way is through decent command of English. You'll need it as an officer ;)

Good luck!

viciousrose

so true on the punctuation writing is not my strong point it is definitely something for me to work on and on that note in my case I would be going through PLC would at any point including getting my commission must I write the essay on why I want to be an officer?
also I got to the website and am checking it now thank you for the link. usually my web browser puts the www in it.
I'm glad I asked on here about the A-10's that saves me at least some face in front of a recruiter lol

nukon

pilot
so true on the punctuation writing is not my strong point it is definitely something for me to work on and on that note in my case I would be going through PLC would at any point including getting my commission must I write the essay on why I want to be an officer?
also I got to the website and am checking it now thank you for the link. usually my web browser puts the www in it.
I'm glad I asked on here about the A-10's that saves me at least some face in front of a recruiter lol

Yes, there is a brief essay on the application. Maybe 250 words. I strongly encourage you to have someone proofread it before submission. As for your previous question ("how can I be better understood?"): use capitalization and punctuation just as you would in a written paper. It's difficult to understand and address your concerns when your post looks like one giant sentence. Good luck with your application process. If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask.

JonTay

I can tell you that selection for OCS is EXTREMELY competitive with the recent cuts. You'll need around a 290 pft minimum. Were you asking if you could be an officer while working on your degree? No, you must have a 4-year degree to be a military officer (excluding warrant).

If you're still interested in a flight slot after that A-10 fiasco above, good news is that those haven't been affected nearly as badly as ground contracts (at least in my area). That being said, the ASTB (Different than the ASVAB) is fairly challenging for anyone that doesn't have a strong math/science background. It also now includes a pretty intense visual/audio multitasking section.

Definitely work on those written communication skills. The selection board only sees a sliver of information from your packet, and the essay is a major component. That's your one subjective scoring area to "woo" the board.