• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Some Advice For Applying to OCS (Currently Enlisted)

R

Robert Lodato

Hello all,
I was hoping that I could have some of your opinions with me applying for SWO and attending OCS at some point. I wasn't really sure where else to ask for advice or suggestions, so here it is:

>I finished a B.S. Network Security from UMUC early this year GPA 3.68
>ASTB wasn't great at all 42 5/6/6 (retaking mid september)
>LOR's should be pretty solid. 2 O-6's (prior CO's, one is a DESRON captain), A CWO3, a LCDR that was my CHENG, and possibly a couple LT's that served with me and know me.
>I am trying to get an interview set up at our local NROTC with a couple of commanders and LT's.

Currently I am an active duty GSE1 (E-6), going on 9 years enlisted so far. I have various leadership roles such as being LPO ashore, and currently taking an LPO at sea billet. I am about as qualified as I can be when it comes to my rate, and I am starting to take classes that are geared towards leadership positions. Professionally I feel that I am doing fairly well compared to some of my 1st class counterparts. I am only 27, so I do have a couple of years before I need to look in to a waiver.

My problem lies with this, I am currently at the pre-com unit for DDG1000 (Zumwalt). I don't really have a chain of command, as most of us are attending schools and spread out all over the place. My CO is in Maine right now at the shipyard, so there isn't much I can do as I am in Norfolk. I will be up there in a couple of months and should hopefully be able to get the ball rolling a little faster than it already is. Having to essentially sit around and watch the time fly by is painful. I am trying to get what I can done now before I get up to Maine (physicals, interviews, etc) before it becomes too difficult. So what would you do in my situation? I know that I need to get on my interviews, physical, and LOR's...and get my 1420 form taken care of. Do you guys have any suggestions that could help me improve my prospective package?

Also, as far as my ASTB scores (OAR specifically). I sort of screwed up by not really taking it too seriously. I know that is a poor excuse, but I went in there not really that prepared. I have some material for studying now (a million or so gouges), so I feel that with a good month and a half of studying every night I should be able to improve my score considerably. As far as my college of choice, I know...not the most prestigious, but being in the military doesn't make it easy for me. I began my classes at so many different schools, but ultimately settled with the one that could work with me the most with my schedule.

Sorry for the long read, I wanted to make sure I covered everything. This forum (and a couple others) is my only real help right now, because as you now know, my command can't do much for me until we get the programs in place. I would go outside of my command to my old command, but with me leaving in a month and a half I would hate to get started on something that I can't finish. I can't just route up paperwork from my old command to my new CO...haha. As far as the community I am applying for, I really like the idea of SWO. I am honestly one of the few who don't really want to be a pilot or NFO. I wouldn't mind submitting for IDC, Intel, or SWO-IP, but I feel like I wouldn't have a good shot in getting in. Would you think they are viable options for me? I know a lot of people repeat this because they see it on the forums all day, but I just want to get in to the officer community. I don't care where it is or what I am doing. I like the SWO side, and doing 9 yearsin engineering can only help me better prepare for the hellacious life the SWO community brings. I don't want to apply LDO and be stuck as an MPA somewhere but, but I will do so just to get in to the community.

Again, thank you for any help or criticism you have for me.

Robert Allen

I've fixed them, now I fly them!
Submit your package as soon as possible and as soon as you can retake that ASTB. You sound as if you have everything you need to submit a solid package. Inside of the 1420.1b is a contact number at the end of the OCS chapter, for the fleet processor. They will be your most current and accurate in information and guides to submitting the strongest package possible.