• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Social media presence in spec ops?

Fsssoma

I'm interested in joining the Navy as EOD or Seal. My question is, I have a semi small YouTube channel. I make a bit of money from it. It's mostly outdoor/camping videos, some workout videos. My face doesn't clearly appear in any of the videos. I've gotten a few small offers to sponsor things in my videos. I do it as a hobby.

I know that Seals and EOD require a top secret clearance. Would my youtube channel ever be something I have to worry about? Do I have to report having one or report making money from it? Could I continue as a hobby in the navy? If it's not allowed I don't mind giving it up to be in the navy.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It likely won’t be an issue. Just be prepared to disclose it when you go through your security investigation and when you arrive at your first fleet command. If it’s a legal or security issue at that point, then someone will tell you. As a rule of thumb though, minimizing your social media profile while in the military is never a bad way to go.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I'm interested in joining the Navy as EOD or Seal. My question is, I have a semi small YouTube channel. I make a bit of money from it. It's mostly outdoor/camping videos, some workout videos. My face doesn't clearly appear in any of the videos. I've gotten a few small offers to sponsor things in my videos. I do it as a hobby.

I know that Seals and EOD require a top secret clearance. Would my youtube channel ever be something I have to worry about? Do I have to report having one or report making money from it? Could I continue as a hobby in the navy? If it's not allowed I don't mind giving it up to be in the navy.
The larger question you should ask yourself is will/should you have the time to keep pursuing these activities as an active duty member of the SEAL/EOD community . . . .

exNavyOffRec

I wouldn't be concerned about the videos, but you should talk to a recruiter as many want to be a SEAL/EOD but few follow through to the application part once they see what the standards are. A person going into those designators not only needs to be extremely physically fit but they also look for those that have done very well in college.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None

SEALs are required to author novels and do movies, so yeah you can make outside money while still active duty.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It’s not about the security clearance, per se. The Teams guys I know keep a very low profile on SM. For the OP, if you wind up there, don’t be surprised if they tell you to delete your channel.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
You’ll be too busy writing the mandatory biography (and later screen play) of your service where you publicly proclaim how honored you are to have served with the silent warriors of special operations.