• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So, about the MILITARY part of Military Aviation

Coriolanus

Pro-Rec SNA
This is hard to phrase, but I’m looking for input about the military side of being a naval aviator. For context I am a prior Airforce enlisted that ships out this year for OCS to be a Navy pilot. I am obviously excited to fly and join a unique military community,

I’m not just doing this to fly. I enjoy the military lifestyle and will most certainly be making it to 20 if not more. I have dreams of learning enough and getting wise enough to take on leadership roles, and getting above O-5 (if not higher)

Is there anything inherently bad about wanting to “climb the ladder” in aviation? Yes, yes, I know I need to graduate OCS before I start thinking too far down the road, but I want to see if anyone who has been in for a while has any input.

Thanks in advance.

MGoBrew11

pilot
No, nothing wrong with wanting to climb the ladder. In fact, if you tell people you're not interested in climbing the ladder you are shooting yourself in the foot. That being said, don't be so overly ambitious that you are obnoxious.

Like you said, after OCS, just focus on being a good flight student. Closest alligator in the boat. Once you get to the fleet, COs are looking for a few things in their JOs.

Be a good dude: Are you fun to hang out/drink a beer with? Do you socialize well with the rest of the squadron? Do you share information with you peers or withhold to help yourself out?

Be a good pilot: Do you study hard? Do you knock out PQS and earn qualifications quickly? Does the CO trust you with his aircraft?

Be a good officer: Do you take care of your sailors or even other pilots that are junior to you? Do you take care of your ground job? Do you get stuff done on your own or does a DH have to nag you to do your job?

@Brett327 was a squadron CO. He probably has a lot more.

Notanaviator

Contributor
A gentle suggestion with Brett- he typically does not readily share his opinions with others, so you really have to get him warmed up before he’ll start sharing. So just be forewarned, be patient, he’ll come around. ?

taxi1

pilot
With your BFA in Theatre Performance you will be an asset to the JOPA

Regarding ladder climbing, if you stare at the mountains on a long drive, they never get closer

Be the guy who carries the message to garcia

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
70% flying, 20% ground job, 10% wardroom participation. All important, and it’s fine to want to be the next CDRE, but be careful how you phrase it and definitely don’t step on other people to do it.

The people I’ve seen succeed do it by bringing everyone else up and still being ahead, not tearing others down so they stick out.

Not hard to make it to twenty years and O-5 if you just try a little...Command and beyond is a factor of timing, track, and talent...you can only control one of those.
Pickle

Coriolanus

Pro-Rec SNA
Thanks for all the input! I wanted to bring up this topic because it seems to be a popular opinion for people to only want to fly... which is why many get out when their contract ends.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
With your BFA in Theatre Performance you will be an asset to the JOPA

Regarding ladder climbing, if you stare at the mountains on a long drive, they never get closer

Be the guy who carries the message to garcia
Holy Zen Overload!

“Be younger than a mountain but older than a loaf of bread.”

“The trained mind does not need a watch. Watches are a confidence trick invented by the Swiss.”

“Don’t move like a pregnant yak.”

“Professional assassination is the highest form of public service.”

Any guesses on my pop culture swipe?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Holy Zen Overload!

“Be younger than a mountain but older than a loaf of bread.”

“The trained mind does not need a watch. Watches are a confidence trick invented by the Swiss.”

“Don’t move like a pregnant yak.”

“Professional assassination is the highest form of public service.”

Any guesses on my pop culture swipe?

Remo.

But with a BFA in theatre (with the -re, not the er) performance, he's more likely to know, "Who's there?" and “The tears of the world are a constant quantity. For each one who begins to weep somewhere else another stops. The same is true of the laugh.”

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Remo.

But with a BFA in theatre (with the -re, not the er) performance, he's more likely to know, "Who's there?" and “The tears of the world are a constant quantity. For each one who begins to weep somewhere else another stops. The same is true of the laugh.”
Good work!

Coriolanus

Pro-Rec SNA
Remo.

Beckett! He’s one of the reasons I chose to study theatre. His plays are a joy to both perform and watch.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Beckett! He’s one of the reasons I chose to study theatre. His plays are a joy to both perform and watch.

You got 1 out of 2!

"Who's there?" Is the opening line of Hamlet.

(I also have a degree in theater. But I did lighting and sound design).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A gentle suggestion with Brett- he typically does not readily share his opinions with others, so you really have to get him warmed up before he’ll start sharing. So just be forewarned, be patient, he’ll come around. ?
34v1ai.jpg