• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

_mDon08

Hi guys,

Took my second ASTB attempt and received a 45 5/5/5. College GPA 3.0

I admit, I am a horrible test taker and would rather leave my ASTB at that score for it was better than my first attempt. I’ve spoken to two recruiters, one mentioning SWO which I‘ve already decided is not the MOS I’d want to take. Another recruiter mentioning to me there are still possibilities for me to go NFO for the next fiscal year (10/2022) with a decent personal statement and letters of recommendation. With the information I’ve learned about NFO and that career path, I would give it a shot if it is actually possible with the scores I received.

I was wondering if there is anyone on here who had a similar experience and actually made or even did not make SNFO due to scores like mine. Thanks!

exNavyOffRec

Hi guys,

I admit, I am a horrible test taker and would rather leave my ASTB at that score for it was better than my first attempt. I’ve spoken to two recruiters, one mentioning SWO which I‘ve already decided is not the MOS I’d want to take. Another recruiter mentioning to me there are still possibilities for me to go NFO for the next fiscal year (10/2022) with a decent personal statement and letters of recommendation. With the information I’ve learned about NFO and that career path, I would give it a shot if it is actually possible with the scores I received.

I was wondering if there is anyone on here who had a similar experience and actually made or even did not make SNFO due to scores like mine. Thanks!
Generally SNFO has had less applicants so it is more likely to get picked up with a 5 for SNFO then trying to get picked up as SNA with a 5 so when the next board happens give it a shot, just get your application in so it is just waiting on the board to meet.

I do have concerns about your recruiters suggesting SWO to someone who doesn't to be a SWO. The other is the recruiter not understanding how goals, boards, and the FY works concerning officer recruiting. In October that will be almost halfway into FY 23 selections, so far for SNFO they have about 40 that are looking at FY 23.

What ranks were these OR's, I am wondering if they are truly OR's or just "helping out"

_mDon08

Generally SNFO has had less applicants so it is more likely to get picked up with a 5 for SNFO then trying to get picked up as SNA with a 5 so when the next board happens give it a shot, just get your application in so it is just waiting on the board to meet.

I do have concerns about your recruiters suggesting SWO to someone who doesn't to be a SWO. The other is the recruiter not understanding how goals, boards, and the FY works concerning officer recruiting. In October that will be almost halfway into FY 23 selections, so far for SNFO they have about 40 that are looking at FY 23.

What ranks were these OR's, I am wondering if they are truly OR's or just "helping out"
I appreciate the info. The recruiter advising for NFO is an LT. I do not want to be incorrect about the other recruiters rank so I prefer not to say. Let’s say I complete my application ASAP, how often does the board convene for NFO? Thanks in advance!

exNavyOffRec

I appreciate the info. The recruiter advising for NFO is an LT. I do not want to be incorrect about the other recruiters rank so I prefer not to say. Let’s say I complete my application ASAP, how often does the board convene for NFO? Thanks in advance!
Next board schedule is in May with the package due to NRC by April 18.
May is supposed to be the next board, it is very possible it could be cancelled due to the spots being filled, currently the dashboard has SNA and SNFO blacked out for next boards.

hope for the best plan for the worst.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
One thing you need to seriously consider about pushing to another year, is that to my best knowledge you can only take the official test 3 times in your life. And, they only use your most recent score. I do not know how long your most recent score is good for though. Will your 5/5/5 be valid until the next cycle? I dont know. If it is, and you choose to take it one final time, that score is what you are stuck with whether or not its a 1/1/1 or a 9/9/9.

Also, I cant speak to OAR as I was NROTC not OCS.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
One thing you need to seriously consider about pushing to another year, is that to my best knowledge you can only take the official test 3 times in your life. And, they only use your most recent score. I do not know how long your most recent score is good for though. Will your 5/5/5 be valid until the next cycle? I dont know. If it is, and you choose to take it one final time, that score is what you are stuck with whether or not its a 1/1/1 or a 9/9/9.

Also, I cant speak to OAR as I was NROTC not OCS.

ASTB scores are good for life. In terms of retake, it’s a 30 day minimum before retaking (second attempt) or attempting the third attempt.

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi guys,

My personal recommendation would be to take the time studying, overcome any studying and test taking obstacles you have and improve your ASTB scores. ASTB still remains to be the biggest weight on an application and selection board.

No pun intended, but submitting just minimum scores usually don’t fly by the selection board.

The 13XX’s here can call me out… but isn’t there tests and exams in flight school?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My personal recommendation would be to take the time studying, overcome any studying and test taking obstacles you have and improve your ASTB scores. ASTB still remains to be the biggest weight on an application and selection board.

No pun intended, but submitting just minimum scores usually don’t fly by the selection board.

The 13XX’s here can call me out… but isn’t there tests and exams in flight school?
Entire career of taking tests...from flight school, to the FRS, to the fleet. Annual NATOPS Open & Closed book, IFS, etc. It never stops.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Entire career of taking tests...from flight school, to the FRS, to the fleet. Annual NATOPS Open & Closed book, IFS, etc. It never stops.
One of my first thoughts after retiring from the airline was that after 40 years of Navy and airline flying, I wouldn't be subjected to any more training, and written tests.