• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN SNFO/SNA re-des pre-commissioning

NROTC MIDN just got a SNFO slot. Put NFO second to SNA. Obviously very happy to not be a SWO but I had my heart set on pilot so there's definitely some disappointment. Wondering if anyone has experience or knows the chances on redesignating before commissioning. I figure there may be some way to get an SNA slot that somebody is medically DQed from or doesn't take it for some reason or another. Otherwise, what are the chances of redes early in NFO pipeline and was that affected by the switch to NIFE?

My unit is having us do NAMI after commissioning when we get to Pcola. I think that'll hurt chances of SNA spot opening up before commissioning in may if everybody is doing that, but may open a door for me to do it in A-pool or later.

Worst case, life as an NFO seems awesome. I just don't want to leave any stone unturned since I really do want to be a pilot. Thanks in advance for any tips / feedback.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
As someone who got an SNA slot and had to change to NFO for anthro reasons at Pcola, I encourage you to exhaust all your available options without pissing anyone off. Its your career, and no one is going to look out for you, better than you. Whether or not you can swap over is purely between big Navy and PERS as far as I know. Have a talk with your aviation advisor and maybe your XO/CO. I also don't know your GPA, major, ASTB scores but there is almost always a reason and metric that puts people into a certain spot. And thats not to say NFOs are less intelligent (but I have met a few window lickers).

Once you get to Pcola, API/NIFE doesn't care what you are, just that you pass the tests. As for transitioning once you are in NIFE, probably not going to happen. NFO need has been on the consistent upswing, especially in the P8 community. If you want to talk more about the NFO life, and what flight school is like, send me a message and I'll be happy to talk with you.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I get the feeling, OP, but having been an instructor at NASC, my advice is to let this be the last time you ask about it out-loud. The program is lousy with "aw, but I wanted to be a pilot" SNFOs and being #114,501 to ask about a redes to SNA that week will get you chased out of STUCON with sticks and torches.

It has indeed happened that opportunities for SNFO cones to redes prior to going flight-side have arisen, but such occasions have historically been very few and far between. CNATRA plans NFO accessions as meticulously as the pilots, and if they have to balance the numbers it's usually done with winged NFOs who still want an anchor-ectomy and have a proven record of performance in training and in the Fleet. It does not work on a "some cone just got the Whammy, see if any student trunk moneys want to redesignate" basis.

If an opportunity to switch tracks does arise, STUCON will put out the word for any SNFOs who are PQ'ed for pilot to apply, and they will probably do it with the guys who are about to complete API so they can use grades as a selection factor. Other than that scenario, your best bet is to apply to redesignate after your first Fleet tour.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I get the feeling, OP, but having been an instructor at NASC, my advice is to let this be the last time you ask about it out-loud. The program is lousy with "aw, but I wanted to be a pilot" SNFOs and being #114,501 to ask about a redes to SNA that week will get you chased out of STUCON with sticks and torches.

It has indeed happened that opportunities for SNFO cones to redes prior to going flight-side have arisen, but such occasions have historically been very few and far between. CNATRA plans NFO accessions as meticulously as the pilots, and if they have to balance the numbers it's usually done with winged NFOs who still want an anchor-ectomy and have a proven record of performance in training and in the Fleet. It does not work on a "some cone just got the Whammy, see if any student trunk moneys want to redesignate" basis.

If an opportunity to switch tracks does arise, STUCON will put out the word for any SNFOs who are PQ'ed for pilot to apply, and they will probably do it with the guys who are about to complete API so they can use grades as a selection factor. Other than that scenario, your best bet is to apply to redesignate after your first Fleet tour.
I have not been on the situation, but this ^^^is very logical. It is never wise to show up to a club you are a member of and say, “Gee, how can I switch over to that “better club.” That part aside, the Navy can count past the number of fingers and toes we all have and they likely put you where they need you.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have not been on the situation, but this ^^^is very logical. It is never wise to show up to a club you are a member of and say, “Gee, how can I switch over to that “better club.” That part aside, the Navy can count past the number of fingers and toes we all have and they likely put you where they need you.

Also goes for the rest of your time in the program. You may or may not get the pipeline/platform/coast/squadron you asked for, but ultimately you go where they need a body to go. Be mad for five minutes, kick the furniture, then embrace what you been given. Nobody wants to hear a New Guy moaning about how he wanted to be someplace else. (Not saying you're being that guy, OP, but they do exist)

BDavis11

Contributor
As someone who got an SNA slot and had to change to NFO for anthro reasons at Pcola, I encourage you to exhaust all your available options without pissing anyone off. Its your career, and no one is going to look out for you, better than you. Whether or not you can swap over is purely between big Navy and PERS as far as I know. Have a talk with your aviation advisor and maybe your XO/CO. I also don't know your GPA, major, ASTB scores but there is almost always a reason and metric that puts people into a certain spot. And thats not to say NFOs are less intelligent (but I have met a few window lickers).

Once you get to Pcola, API/NIFE doesn't care what you are, just that you pass the tests. As for transitioning once you are in NIFE, probably not going to happen. NFO need has been on the consistent upswing, especially in the P8 community. If you want to talk more about the NFO life, and what flight school is like, send me a message and I'll be happy to talk with you.
Taking you up on this offer in 5...4...3...2...