• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA Slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc

It is my understanding that there is currently a hold on taking any SNA Navy OCS applicants do to high retention the last couple of years. Does anyone have any additional information?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Folks that are making a career decision to stay in the Navy are at the 10-15 year point in their career. They are cruise experienced LTs and LCDRs. It has very little bearing on how many people the Navy hires today. Just because those guys stay in does not mean they will not be hiring new guys now. We always need a mix of seniority and experience in the squadrons. Someone has to do the sh*ty little jobs after all! Seriously, what effects the hiring numbers today are assumed retention rates maybe ten years away, attrition rates in training and the force structure the Navy invisions when you would hit the fleet 2-3 years from going to OCS. Think about it. If the Navy significantly slowed or stopped hiring because lots of senior guys were staying in then in a short time you would have an "all chiefs, no indians" scenario. Every billet in the Navy has a rank associated with it. In a fleet squadron all but a hand full of those billets are slated for LT and below, junior officers, the worker bees of the wardroom.

Doc

I certainly understand your rationale however, I just submitted my package this week and my district informed me that they had received a message stating that they were not filling any more SNA slots for awhile but my chances were good for NFO. I am prior service and am aware of how things don’t necessarily go the way they say there going to go so, I went ahead and still submitted with SNA as my first choice. Hopefully all goes well, but I thought I would try to get some feed back as I wait to hear. Thanks for the feedback.

LadyJayUSN

Doc...you are submitting your package at peak graduation season and closing on the end of a fiscal year. What does that mean? Lots of packages, many students already in the training pipeline, and not a whole lotta $$ left. I don't know how much that will affect your selection process, but I think it will play a role as to how far out your roll date will be.

<I SWIM 'CAUSE I'M TOO DAMNED SEXY FOR SPORTS THAT REQUIRE CLOTHING>

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My recruiter told me that SNA spots are closed for direct accession in fiscal year 2004. However, BDCP spots are still open because most (maybe all) applicants at this point would fall into FY 2005 or beyond. So if you're applying for direct accession and don't mind rolling to FY 2005 then I think you're OK. He also said they are building in a little cushion of extra slots so that they can afford to take some direct accession people for '04. So I think that if your package is competitive or better you will stand a good chance. I applied for BDCP at the end of March and am still not all the way in yet. I have learned that it's a waiting game and there's not a thing you can do. Good luck.

BTW this information is straight from my recruiter who has always been reliable and trustworthy. After all he is a Naval Officer - they have that whole integrity thing. Anyway, this is all current as of last week.

Doc

bcgeib.......thanks for the info, I am in fact direct accession but I have a really strong package. I guess I will just have to cross my fingers for FY04.

DairyCreamer

To reiterate some of what I mentioned back in the ASTB forum a couple weeks ago...

After I took my test, I talked with my recruiter for a while. I asked if he knew how many slots there were available for pilot... he pulled out some papers that listed the numbers. From what we looked at, FY 04 is OVERfilled right now, with about 220/208 or so slots filled. This is apparantly due to a reduction in predicted number of slots needed in FY04 due to overestimation (read - high retention).

FY 05 however is a different story. As of 7/1/03, there were 18 out of a little over 180 slots filled for taht fiscal year. I will be talking to my recruiter and submitting my package next week myself, so, I will definitely repost on the forum if I learn anything new regarding slots and hiring possibilities.

~Nate

stevew

Are you saying that they are letting you apply now for FY'05? As far as I have heasrd everything (SNA slots) are still closed until further notice.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It is a minor point but I want you guys to know how things work in the Navy. Do not read over estimation as high retention. About this time of year there are adjustments based on how many USNA and ROTC guys have selected whichever designator. Esentially, they go first and OCS takes up the slack. If more USNA and ROTC guys go a particular place than expected, the OCS numbers are adjusted. My previous post addresses other reasons that drive OCS numbers. It is not a couple hundred extra guys staying in the Navy that are senior LTs and LCDRs.

DairyCreamer

Well, my recruiter told me that I should most definitely put Pilot as my number one choice. Since my first date available for OCS would be listed as 1/1/05, I dont see why they wouldn't be able to consider me for a pilot slot in FY '05.

All I know is that my recruiter has told me he is helping me put together the best package I can to try and get pilot. I have made it pretty clear that I'm not interested in an NFO slot (heck, the ASTB shows me more qualified for pilot than NFO anyway ;) ), so, I don't see why he'd have any reason to try and steer me away from my goals, or be less than truthful with me regarding SNA slots and availability.

I will ask him specifically about this on the phone tomorrow or when I meet with him next week. I will update you then.

~Nate

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unless there is a hold on apps for some operational reason at CRUITCOM, or quotas are full, then they will be screening for'05. Recruting Command selects for current year and following year, called out year. The way CRUITCOM accounts for accessions, we are in '04 now and they are selecting for '05 out year. I haven't been into the office for awhile but '04 is likely full with only ones and twos selected for those that fail to ship or to make adjustments for attrits. If a guy did get selected and went to OCS in, say, this Sept, he would be a '04 guy. You could be selected today for OCS in Aug of '04 and you would be an '05 guy. DairyCreamer will count against the '05 quotas because he isn't available for OCS until Jan '05. This is why we say apply early and often, to turn a phrase by Mayor Daley.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Such language, and from a moderator! I expect you feel the same way about his father (as do I).

chazmurr

I think Patmack is distraught over the closing of Meigs field in downtown Chicago.

here is a site that keeps up on the news of Meigs

http://friendsofmeigs.org/

stevew

So if I put 1/1/05 as my starting date on my Navy app I could send it in tomorrowand get an OCS date a year and a half from now?

Just trying to figure out how this whole thing works. I'm a little confused.

-Steve

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes! As long as the OCS available date is an '04 or '05 class date. The change over is not like the ordinary govt FY. The first OCS class date that commissions in the new FY is the change over. That works out to be a date in July, due to the lenght of OCS. So, '05 quotas are for an OCS class date from the later part (don't remember the date) July 04 thru July '05. Starting sometime this month is the '04 year for recruiting quotas and runs through Jul '04. Check with your recruiter.

Status
Not open for further replies.