• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA in NAVY Reserves

Maine Vaulter

USMC Candidate - Air
Hey all. My brother is considering trying to become a SNA in the NAVY reserves. He asked a few questions and I realized that I know nothing about the NAVY side of the house. I have a few questions that 15 mins of searching didn't answer. Thanks for any help, by brother and I appreciate it.

1. Who should he be speaking to? Is there such a thing as a NAVY OSO? Is he likely to give you the cold hard truth like the avg OSO, or "embellish" the facts like a few of the enlisted recruiters I talked to?

2. I know there are garanteed contracts for SNA's like in the USMC, so I believe that he can learn if he can be an SNA without commiting to the NAVY first correct?

3. Is there any program comperable to USMC PLC where he can do OCS in the summers during college? In the event he is droped from OCS is he still a civilian, or is he enlisted?

4. Most importantly I guess is how difficult is it to go straight from college to the reserves as an SNA withought having been active first. Is this even possible? I know his PFT scores will be very solid, if not perfect, and ASTB should be good as well.

Thanks again.

V/R
-Dave

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey all. My brother is considering trying to become a SNA in the NAVY reserves. He asked a few questions and I realized that I know nothing about the NAVY side of the house. I have a few questions that 15 mins of searching didn't answer. Thanks for any help, by brother and I appreciate it.

4. Most importantly I guess is how difficult is it to go straight from college to the reserves as an SNA withought having been active first. Is this even possible? I know his PFT scores will be very solid, if not perfect, and ASTB should be good as well.

Thanks again.

-Dave

You can't become an SNA in the reserves, you do active duty first and then reserves. Same as in the Marines.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Not possible. All the naval reserve pilots served on active duty before going the reserve route.

Maine Vaulter

USMC Candidate - Air
He is considering that also, he mainly just wants to be able so serve while pursuing a civilain carreer either as a cop or continue education with med school.

Thanks for the responses, I'll pass along the link to the thread.

dephyler

Contributor
To go straight into the Reserves as an Officer, he needs to look at the DCO program, which only offers Restricted Line Officer jobs for people without prior service. I know a few cops that are Intel Officers, so maybe he'd like that.