• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Small Online App Question

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
Just wondering what exactly this is asking for:

Thanks.

staapp.jpg

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
It is asking for the amount of college credit hours that you have. Semester hours versus quarter hours is a difference in the unit used. I have never seen anywhere measure credits in quarter hours...not to say it isn't done but the standard is semester hours. If you are unsure of the amount that you have contact your college. Your SMART will be in semester hours.

Here is a conversion table http://www.auburn.edu/semesters/conversion.html

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
Please let me know if I'm doing this wrong:

On the 'Summary' page of my SMART, I'm adding up all the recommended credits for "L" (Lower Div Bac./Assoc. Degree) & "U" (Upper Div Bac.) and ignoring the "V" (Vocational Certs). Then I put that number on the online app. and select 'Semester' from the drop-down.

Thanks for your help.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Please let me know if I'm doing this wrong:

On the 'Summary' page of my SMART, I'm adding up all the recommended credits for "L" (Lower Div Bac./Assoc. Degree) & "U" (Upper Div Bac.) and ignoring the "V" (Vocational Certs). Then I put that number on the online app. and select 'Semester' from the drop-down.

Thanks for your help.

Yes you are doing it wrong.

What they want to know is the total of actual credits you posses. If you look under the "academic courses" section (if applicable) you will see the listing of all college courses you have taken while on active duty i.e. NCPACE, Tuition Assistance, or anything else funded by the Navy. If you took classes prior to entering the service then reference your transcripts from the applicable schools.

FYI the part of the SMART you are looking at is basically a recommendation by the ACE for equivalent credit. It is not a guarantee or actual credit. Only if a university or college accepts your "experience" listed on the SMART will it then become "transfer credit". It is usually highly variable from school to school and especially depends what your experience is and what you are trying to get credit as. Some of us I'm sure will be able to tell tall tales of extremely liberal credit granting as well as others I'm sure have experiences where universities laughed when you send them your SMART.

Good luck with your application.

SkywardET

Contrarian
One thing that might be important: if you do have college credit from schools that does not show up on your SMART, go to your local Navy College Office and show them your transcript to get it updated ASAP. It might not play a role, but then again, if you dot every "i" and make all your ducks in a row it certainly cannot hurt your chances.
Yes you are doing it wrong.

What they want to know is the total of actual credits you posses. If you look under the "academic courses" section (if applicable) you will see the listing of all college courses you have taken while on active duty i.e. NCPACE, Tuition Assistance, or anything else funded by the Navy. If you took classes prior to entering the service then reference your transcripts from the applicable schools.

FYI the part of the SMART you are looking at is basically a recommendation by the ACE for equivalent credit. It is not a guarantee or actual credit. Only if a university or college accepts your "experience" listed on the SMART will it then become "transfer credit". It is usually highly variable from school to school and especially depends what your experience is and what you are trying to get credit as. Some of us I'm sure will be able to tell tall tales of extremely liberal credit granting as well as others I'm sure have experiences where universities laughed when you send them your SMART.

Good luck with your application.
The University of Oklahoma accepted all 96 of my SMART hours. Unfortunately, none of them are applicable to my degree, so I still need over 100 hours to graduate ;)