• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sit ups/hip flexors

Status
Not open for further replies.

GVSURob

Greetings,

When I do sit ups at home my hip flexors burn out before my abs do... does anyone know any excercises that work on hip flexors?

Thanks!

Robert Mathey
Grand Rapids, MI

twidget

Deskaholic
GVSURob said:
Greetings,

When I do sit ups at home my hip flexors burn out before my abs do... does anyone know any excercises that work on hip flexors?

Thanks!

Robert Mathey
Grand Rapids, MI

Sit-ups maybe? J/K :icon_tong

Seriously though, I have the same problem, but I've just done sit-ups and it's working so far. Same with push-ups, my triceps are the first to go, but rather than just working them, I just keep doing push-ups. That way all the muscles involved are still getting worked. I'm sure isolating your weak points is probably a good idea, I just tried to keep it simple.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Part of the reason the PFT went to crunches is to reduce the use of hip flexors. If you just want to improve sit-ups, though, I'd recommend leg lifts, both together and as scissor kicks.

Darin

Ahhhhh...
When I was a collegiate athlete this was always a big thing. They wanted to make sure we hit BOTH and hit them hard.

For JUST abs, here are some suggestions:
1) Use the bar thing (I don't know its proper name, but you put your head and arms in it and it forces you to roll rather than lift)
2) Never lock your feet to something to do crunchies. If your feet are under something your flexors will be a big factor.
3) When doing all types of abs, focus on curling up rather than lifting your shoulders. To hit abs your torso must be bent. Keeping it strainght=hip flexor workout.
4) Keep the small of your back on the ground when you do crunchies.

And here is a general tip: Abs are just a muscle group like hammys or anything else. While doing 100,000,000 crunchies will help your endurance, it won't make them particularly strong. Would you do 1000 curls if you wanted max strength from your Biceps?

Use weight and lower reps from time to time (at least). 4-5 sets of 10-15 twice a week will really blast your abs. These should be to failure or there about, just like you would do for other muscles. Doing these sets will also help you do more sit-ups, like in the hundreds.

This is akin to runners lifting with their legs. It makes them stronger.

I could go on about this forever, and explain more nuances, but I will spare you.

Status
Not open for further replies.